The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noob: shifter question

I was just wondering if adjusting the shifter cables/linkage is the same as 1g vfaqs method. Never done before seems simple enough.
Big problem trying to put the car in reverse and 5th and 3rds a little notchy

boostin4door

Yeah, I would adjust the cables to see if that helps. I had to adjust mine after my trans rebuild. Car wouldn't go into reverse very well. After adjustments it was good to go!
[Since its so cheap: I would also pickup a set of shifter bushings for trans and do the shifter base mod on GP]

BpuVR4

just in case you didn't cover it already, did you try lubing up the linkage first?

Armitage

+1 on replacing the shifter bushings. Money WELL spent.

Also, yea, disconnect both ends of your shifter cables and move them in and out by hand. See if there's any binding. I ended up having to replace my cables because they were catching inside badly.

Will be looking into the bushings, anyone got a link to a site i can pick them up? Havn't really had time to mess with it, so ill lube it up when i get time to do so.

Another quick random newb question do they make a chilton or Haynes manual for these cars? i find them helpful for torque specs

Gmoney1983

I got mine from speed source. Was about 40 bucks shipped for the set, base bushings and shifter bushings. Lovin mine.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting spoolin16:
Will be looking into the bushings, anyone got a link to a site i can pick them up? Havn't really had time to mess with it, so ill lube it up when i get time to do so.

Another quick random newb question do they make a chilton or Haynes manual for these cars? i find them helpful for torque specs

Most factory Mitsu manuals are here:
www.lilevo.com

Here's the direct links:

click
click

Last edited:

So i installed the symborski shift bushing kit, got everything put back, reatached the cables front to back is fine.

problem is the cable that goes to side to side, without it attached the shifter goes side to side easily and the spring pulls the shifter back to center, but soon as i attach the cable, the shifter gets extremely stiff and still almost impossible to go into 5th and reverse,

i tried to adjust the cable every which way but soon as i reattach the cable it goes back to being stiff and hard to shift any ideas?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If the washers at the trans end (hold the cables to the bracket just before the end links pop on) are missing the rubber or the entire piece is missing, you could have a cable misalignment causing a very stiff movement.
Those washers are supposed to have a rubber outside portion and a steel insert/collar.
Any issues at the trans end?

Ill check that out probably tomorrow, i was thinking either it was the cable, or i needed to tear down and clean/grease. The part that actuates the movement on the trans, always forget to check the little things.

got to mess with it today, everything was there and in good shape, pulled the cables off they moved fine, turned out that part that attaches to the trans was extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned and greased.

so it goes side to side fine 1-5 fine havn't had a chance to drive it yet just went through the gears with the car on.

the only issue i have now is it goes into reverse but does take a little bit of work doesn't slide right into the gear kinda got to hold it to the right and put a little bit of muscle to get it into reverse,i can live with it but i'd like to have it back to working correctly.

I read that sometimes the reverse sender needs a new crush washer or an extra. Where is this sender on the trans? so i can try to loosen it up and see if that is the problem

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned