The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electronic suspension problem

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi galant that has the electronic suspension control box o the dash. One oof the lights on it keep going red and I have no idea why. Please help. I have other problems but I will ask about those later.

citymunky

You have what is called ESC. US spec galants VR4 didnt come will ESC so it going to be hard for us to help fix a problem we never seen before.

James

Hope another member from another country can help you. Or try to find a more local forum

LIV4PSI

Maybe take your car to a mechanic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I guess I could take it to a shop , but I'm the type of guy that loves the learning experience. Hope someone can help

OK.....so I have another problem..... usually in the mornings the engine reves to 2.5 and drops to 1.5 back and forth..... I've checked vacuum lines hoses but still no luck.....this is my first: vr4 so any heads up or hints on getting more power, traction, performances. Please feel free to share some input with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

misterfixit

Generally there is one reason for the light. The airbags are leaking.

I think you are confused calling your car a GVR4. No 4wd ever came with air suspension. Could you post some pics of your car?
Also where are you? What market was your car?

If you have the air struts still on the car and the light is coming on.
1, does the car sit lower than normal?
2, Is it making funny noises?

Mine made a hell of a racket whern the compressor gave out, also it sat low when the airbag on one strut went. The read light is an indication somepart of the system is not happy.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Well it's not 4wd only fwd..... and its not air controlled ,at least I don't think it is........it says it has esc....... I bought it at a car auction..... and I think it has lowering springs.. I'm..In Vancouver, Wa.. I'll post pix soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

misterfixit

Look at the top of the struts in the engine bay. If there are little pancake motors under the big rubber boots it has the air suspension (ECS is a combo of air and electric). The lowering springs, makes me think it's got the ECS setup, and it's got issues with the air side of the system.

Does it sit this low? If so it's not lowering springs, its ECS with no air in it.

Rich

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting James:
Hope another member from another country can help you. Or try to find a more local forum

Lol, we got these cars stateside, it's a Galant GS (FWD DOHC 4g63 with electronic suspension), the spot where our badge sits on the dash is where the ECS gauge pod sits.

OP:
So you understand the basic difference between your GS/GSR and our VR4s clearly and nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VR4
E39A Chassis
5spd only (US Cars only, other countries had auto option)
DOHC 4g63T (Turbo variant)
AWD/All Wheel Steering

GS/GSR
E33A Chassis
5spd
FWD
DOHC NA 4g63
Electronic Controlled Suspension

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

The OP never said he had a VR4. I guess posting on a VR4 forum could be misleading but in his defense it sounds as if he knows he has a FWD. I think having spoken to Rich the biggest issue is going to be finding parts to repair it.

quato

Quoting ralliart90galant:
OK.....so I have another problem..... usually in the mornings the engine reves to 2.5 and drops to 1.5 back and forth..... I've checked vacuum lines hoses but still no luck.....this is my first: vr4 so any heads up or hints on getting more power, traction, performances. Please feel free to share some input with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ah but he did

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned