The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New member rerx7

Hey guys, nice to be a part of your forum. Im lookin to get into a vr4 as my next dsm. Ive owned a 97 gst, 99 gst and ive just sold my 03 evo 8. These cars have always intrigued me and hopefully i can make a connection to the one for me. Lol i hope to find a clean example and keep it stock looking as with my all my others dsm's of past.

raptorWagon

Welcome! However these are Pure breed Mitsubishis not DSMs, 1G DSMs are based off the 6G Galants, thus parts interchangeability.

G

Staff member
Was your evo 8 a dsm?

Yes i actually consider it a dsm. Lol as it was a turd just like the rest. We regularly make jokes about evo's being dsm's due to their knack for breakin sh*t. Thanks for the info on the vr4 vs dsm world good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIV4PSI

LIV4PSI

I have just been waiting to post that pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif No matter what you call them, its still a 20 year old pile of Mitsu headaches.

So I assume by your name, you used to own a FC? I love rotaries, I can't wait to get back into one.

You sir are gd. Lol. Yes i had an 89 rx7 turbo II. T67, haltec e6k, blah blah. Miss it. Thats why im here. Tryna decide between the two most unreliable vehicles on earth lol. Dsm or fc/fd. Im old school at heart. I like the vr4 simply because its rare.

raptorWagon

Quoting rerx7:
Nice. I understand they arent a dsm but at the sametime it actually is.

Or actually it isn't and never will be, where as the Evolution line of Lancers dates back to the GVR4 Evolution.

Yea because the engine, tranny amd none of that stuff matches up? The car may be super tyte jdm but that engine came in eagle talons. So 50% of that car is a dsm.

EHmotorsports

What came first the chicken or the egg? Wrong the Galant. You will not make friends with your Honda fanboy mentality.

Last edited:

Honda fanboy? That actually made me laugh lol. Ok, well lets examine something. Does the 4g63t come in the galant? Will drivetrain from a 1g fit? So yes to me that means its part dsm if dsm parts(trans, diff) fit it. Apparently im not the only one on this board that feels this way. Thats fine you dnt see it like that. Its merely my opinion.

EHmotorsports

I was just joking with you;). But it would be good for you to read up on the history of the galant and why they designed the drivetrain/body for WRC. click
Welcome to the club:)

Last edited:

citymunky

That fact is the GVR4 (6th Gen Galant's point) came 1st. DSM's just borrow the drivetrain.

5OF2k

Its pointless to argue the DSM dealio here, regardless if it quacks, breaks, and leaks like a DSM, its still not a duck.

Wait, that didnt come out right, did it?

Welcome aboard, do the car justice! Theyre dying more and more each day, which is super super sad. SAVE THE E39a's!! Lol

If I get one it will be a weekend only car and will be restored. Only want about 400whp.

raptorWagon

Quoting citymunky:
That fact is the GVR4 (6th Gen Galant's point) came 1st. DSM's just borrow the drivetrain.

Exactly.
E38A/E39A chassis GVR4 = '87-92, 1G DSM = '89-94
Galants were not only the first Mitsus to get the DOHC variant of the g63, but the first g63t powered car was the '81 Galant Eterna GSR. Our VR4s are more less the base models compared to the facelift RSs, Monte Carlo edition, and RS Evolution spec (real Evo 0).

DR1665

Quoting rerx7:
Honda fanboy? That actually made me laugh lol.

Good attitude. Seriously. There's still far too many people getting butthurt at labels online.

You know what's just as bad as said ricer flyby Honda fanboyism, though? 4-door DSMers. In fact, 4-door DSMers are worse than Honda fanboys, because, while a million beat-ass Hondas mean there's plenty to go 'round when mouth-breathing, flatbrim morons half-ass them into wasted shells destined for the scrap heap and Chinese foundries, there are likely less than 1,500 GVR4s left in all of North America. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Quoting rerx7:
Ok, well lets examine something.

Yes. Let's.

Quoting rerx7:
Does the 4g63t come in the galant?

Yes. Does that make it a DSM? Nope.

Quoting rerx7:
Will drivetrain from a 1g fit?

Yes, but good luck going anywhere with it. Prop shaft is too short, meaning you can't connect the rear diff, meaning you have an open center diff, meaning you have a FWD, turbo Galant. Even if it was 100% identical and bolted right up. Still not a DSM.

Quoting rerx7:
So yes to me that means its part dsm if dsm parts(trans, diff) fit it.

It's not part DSM at all. DSM is part Galant VR4.

DSM, plain and simple, is Diamond Star Motors, which was, as you know, a business venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi in the early 90s. ALL DSMs were made in Normal, Illinois. If it wasn't made in Normal, alongside the triplets, it's not a DSM. Period. Hell. 1995-1999 non-turbo Eclipses and Talons - which pretty much have a Dodge NEON engine/trans in them - are more DSM than the GVR4. Why? Because their badges originated under DSM and they were built in the DSM factory, alongside DSMs.

DSM is a brand of car. You might as well say a GVR4 is a FORD.

Quoting rerx7:
Apparently im not the only one on this board that feels this way. Thats fine you dnt see it like that. Its merely my opinion.

Opinions are like assholes, though. Here's the rub. Why do you want a GVR4? Why not buy another DSM? You said so yourself, because they're rare. You want something special. You want something different. You want something that commands immediate recognition and respect in the parking lot and on the street (and on the track).

These cars are special. They are not dime-a-dozen, oft-neglected, "dizzums." They are limited edition, homologated world rally cars. There will likely never be another car like it - at least, not at a pricepoint regular Joes like us can afford. Look at your Talon. How does it compare to the average DSM you see these days? It's better than the vast majority of them, isn't it?

When you're done with this car, when you get it as dailed-in and polished as your Talon, ready to fit right in and stand right out - whether you're at the stoplight, the winner's circle, or pulling up to the valet at Caesar's Palace between an AMC Merc and a Murcielago - do you want people to compliment you on your super rare, specialty vehicle? Or call it a $2,000, 4-door DSM?

Most of us here cut our teeth on DSMs. We have nothing but love and respect for them. And yes, there is no doubt the DSM platform is pretty much the only reason these cars have any kind of aftermarket support in North America. We don't deny that. Some of us are just of the opinion that these cars are special and want to see them thought of that way by the rest of the gearheads in the world.

The DSM owes its long term dominance of North American streets and tracks to its forebear, the Galant VR4. This was the car which started it all. Before the GVR4, Mitsubishi 4WD was truck-based, the Group B Starion sporting a modified Pajero drivetrain under it's bulging, cheese wedge J-tin. The 6th generation Galant was where the magic started. It was the original, turbocharged, AWD Mitsubishi for the everyman with grown-up tastes.

In short, the E39A VR4 is our UrQuattro. And it is most certainly NOT a DSM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned