The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wipers Don't work!

desant78

Hello gvr4.org

Before I took my car apart, my wipers didn't work. I put my car together, and they didn't work.

Then randomly they worked but after a few minutes slowed down and stopped moving, in the upright position. They do not move at all anymore. I have a parts car, with a complete wiper system that worked. I have DSM shop manual, so I fear it will not match the vr4. I am going to trouble shoot the system with the manual, but am looking for suggestions on what parts to change. From reading online, I found a simple list

1. relay
2. motor
3. motor control board.

I already switched the relay with no luck. Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

misterfixit

Pull the motor off the parts car.

It will have the same plug as the galant. Hook it up and make sure it's grounded (cable under one of the bolt heads to the inlet manifold or battery or like)
Does the parts motor work smoothly?

If the answer is yes, pull your motor. Snap it off the linkage. Try the same again.
Does your motor run smoothly?

If the answer is yes with the motor removed still check if the linkage moves smoothly. if it does then all is good, if not you need to rebuild the pivot shafts. (remove circlip, strip, degunk, clean the shafts, regrease and reassemble)

If the wiper moroe is slow/snaggy then pull the can off (mark it for timing before you do) and check the bearings and brushes. You should be able to rob the dsm one for a new brush plate or body if need be. Timing of the can is important or it will park halfway up the screen.

On my flooded Lancer I tapped and recoated the threaded holes on the firewall and ran a jumper cable to the main body of the motor to ensure ground was maintained. If the motor base is crustyo then you may need to do the same.

hope this helps,

Rich

desant78

^thanks for the tip! with the extra motor, I attached the motor plug and ground to the car, and attempted to energize the motor outside the fire wall, not attached to the linkage. Nothing happened.

Following the above post, I have hit a dead end, feel free to comment while I look in the DSM electrical manual to try and solve this problem.

mitsuturbo

Parts car?

Pull the combination switch. Plug it into your GVR4 harness and see if the wipers will come on with it. Since a 2nd motor won't work, i'd assume it's the switch or wiring. The switch is a lot more likely than wiring. If the switch doesnt fix the problem, ohm out all the wiring.

LIV4PSI

What could be confusing about the term 'parts car?'

Edit: I guess maybe you are asking if it is a DSM or a GVR4

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I wasn't confused. You're focusing on the wrong part of the message, clearly.

Maybe i should have phrased it like this. "If you have a parts car...."

desant78

Update: I changed the motor AND the combination switch, and nothing, no luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Any more suggetions before I try to OHM out this nightmare?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned