The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket radiator uses different cap

donkeylips

My brother bought this radiator from some website. It's for a Galant, and it fits normally. I lost the radiator cap and a stock cap from another Galant or DSM does not fit due to some extra material on the inside of the radiator. I have no clue where to find a cap that will fit. Has anyone else run into this? Can anyone else with an aftermarket radiator check to see if the inside looks like this and maybe I can go from there?
100_1415.jpg

I have damaged it slightly trying to force another radiator cap on there. At first I thought it was just being stubborn.

rdomeck

I have a radiator from Carquest that seems to fit well. I was able to use my cap that was on the car. I don't believe it to be an original cap! If the radiator is still out of the car you could take it up to the local parts store and see if they have something that fits.....

donkeylips

That was the first thing I tried. There is one knowledgeable guy at Advance, and he couldn't help me.

misterfixit

That's not a galant radiator.

That's a mirage/evo diesel lancer one. Get radcap of a '93-'95 mirage cap (shorter by about 3mm)

I had the same thing in reverse on my Lancer. the top tank was replaced, and it got a deep filler neck and it couldn't pressurise the cooling system. I swapped to the Galant style rad cap and it pressurises nicely now.

An easy fix!

Rich

donkeylips

Thank you! I'll pick one up!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned