The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

battery problems

so i left my light on for 30 mins. Drove the VR4 for 10 miles on the last 2 miles the gauges' light started fading away and the radio keeps turning on and off and my headlights turned off and the anti lock light turned on. i got home turned it off tried turning it back on but it wouldnt. I replaced the battery but it still wouldnt start it cranks but it doesnt start. Any ideas why?

gvr4ever

Have your alternator tested. I know a weak one will cause the car to run very poorly. Limped home on a old Talon once and barely made it. If one is completely shot, it might not have enough power for spark, even with a good battery.

citymunky

+1 the same thing happened to me once on the highway but lucky for you, you made it home.

alansupra94

Make sure if you install a new alternator, you get a heat shield. That really helps them live longer.

Last edited:

gotclutch87

I know everyones saying it but it happened to me as well driving home about 11pm lights went dark slowly lost everything then started to run funny and died. It ended up bring a bad alternator.

gvr4ever

Quoting alansupra94:
Make sure if you install a new alternator, you get a heat shield. That really helps them live longer.

They aren't that close to the exhaust in our cars. In fact, they aren't even prone to early failure. One in my old Talon failed around 150k miles maybe. One in my GVR4 didn't fail after 20 years and 140K miles. I had it rebuilt because of its age, but it didn't actually fail on me.

MellowVR4

if it still doesnt hold the charge after a new alternator and a battery, check the alt relay.

ktmrider

Quoting gvr4ever:
Quoting alansupra94:

They aren't that close to the exhaust in our cars. In fact, they aren't even prone to early failure. One in my old Talon failed around 150k miles maybe. One in my GVR4 didn't fail after 20 years and 140K miles. I had it rebuilt because of its age, but it didn't actually fail on me.

This. Let's not start the one billionth discussion on the "heat soaked" alternator location. OEM ones lasted a long time, big-box auto parts store reman units get totally crap rebuild parts ( most notably the VR ).

Reminder that the alternator "runs" the car's electronics. Battery gets it started and provides enough juice if the alt dies to get you to a safe place.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned