The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! Mechanic has screwed up my boost

Hi

Just got a '97 VR4 few weeks ago and am in the process of tidying it up after years of little maintenance. Anyway, I took it in to get the compression tested and when I got the car back it has waaay less power through the boost. From about 3000 RPM onwards (mostly from 2nd gear) under hard acceleration it feels like it has about 40% power and sounds a bit like its missing.

I took it back to the mechanic and he reckoned it was the leads which they then replaced at great expense. But when I pick up the car again the issue was still there. I took the mechanic for a drive and he argued that it wasn't missing and maybe that's just how the car is. The other day the car was a road weapon from hell, now its just average and I don't know what to do.

Any ideas on what they could have 'disturbed' while doing the compression testing that could explain the loss of power?

Thanks

fuel

Kia Ora John

This forum caters to the 6th generation (1987-1992) Galant VR-4s rather than the 7th and 8th gen Galant VR-4. Best you jump onto www.clubvr4.com or www.ozvr4.com, even the NZ based forums like www.mmc.org.nz or www.msport.co.nz may help you too. ClunVR-4 tend to not acknowledge the VR-4 exists before the 8G Galant/Legnum, and as this forum has a primarily US-based user base, we can't really offer any worthwhile advice to the 7G and 8G brothers.

As for your problem, I would start by looking at the vacuum lines around the inlet manifold as that is what they would have had to remove in order to gain access to the rear bank of spark plugs to do a compression test. Check the hoses around the throttle body are OK too. Might be best get an air compressor with tyre gauge (set to say 20psi) and make yourself a boost tester as described here click

Hope that helps.

Phil (originally from Hamilton, NZ)

Last edited:

Thanks Phil, damn I should have read a little further /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'll take a look at what you suggested, it makes sense. Just wish I knew more about these engines.

Cheers,
John

transparentdsm

i would also check any and all intercooler piping couplers to have come apart. it sounds like the piping popped off or a clamp was left loose and air is pissing out of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned