The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.3 7bolt in a galant.

JackstandTSi

So I am getting a really good deal on my buddies 2.3l from his talon, and I'm wondering will the 6bolt trans bolt up to this 2g 7bolt and will I have to use a 1g awd 7bolt clutch and flywheel. Thank you.

TomN

Is the 7 bolt block a 2g or a 1g block.
2g 7 bolts have only one mount on the engine and that the driver side mount. the other three are on the tranny.
Unlike 1g and gvr4`s where they have the front rear mount on the block not the tranny.

TomN

I think you will have a problem getting that bolted in seeing as in a 2g 3 of the mounts are on the tranny, not the block.

fuel

there are still the holes on the 7-bolt block (before they swapped sides in the engine bay) for the 6-bolt mounts to attach to. You may need to tap the treads though. You would just use the 7-bolt block with 6-bolt mounts, 7-bolt flywheel/clutch and 6-bolt transmission.

raptorWagon

^ I was thinking this, because those are same mounting points for use in RWD applications /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, also probably need to tap the subframe/radiator support? for the front and rear mounts to bolt onto the car as well.

JackstandTSi

Thank you very much for the info, If i use the 7bolt clutch/flywheel would i need a 1g 7bolt or 2g 7bolt AWD flywheel with the 6bolt trans.

fuel

Quoting raptorreed:
^ I was thinking this, because those are same mounting points for use in RWD applications /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, also probably need to tap the subframe/radiator support? for the front and rear mounts to bolt onto the car as well.

No the RWD mounts are about 2-3" further down from the transverse mounts, roughly in the middle of the block while the transverse mounts are not far from the bellhousing.

If you are bolting the 6-bolt VR-4 specific mount brackets to the 7-bolt block, why would you have a need to tap the subframe and radiator support? Mounting brackets will be in the same position.

fuel

Quoting JackstandTSi:
Thank you very much for the info, If i use the 7bolt clutch/flywheel would i need a 1g 7bolt or 2g 7bolt AWD flywheel with the 6bolt trans.

I would say a 1G AWD so long as it's the same 225mm diameter clutch. Check the starter motor engages properly with the flywheel too.

raptorWagon

lol, I was pretty tired when I wrote that haha, yeah that makes no sense. I guess I somehow I crossed 7 bolt into 1g with 6 bolt into 2g. Oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMX5636

Quoting fuel:
there are still the holes on the 7-bolt block (before they swapped sides in the engine bay) for the 6-bolt mounts to attach to. You may need to tap the treads though. You would just use the 7-bolt block with 6-bolt mounts, 7-bolt flywheel/clutch and 6-bolt transmission.

I did a 2G stroker block/engine into a 93 DSM a few years back, so don't quote me directly. But I think you will have to fab up a mount/relocation from two other holes closer to the front (d/s) of the block. The front mount isn't useable because of the extra casting for the extra engine/trans mounting bolt there.

I don't think the rear mount was hard. But I had to make a plate about 6-8" wide to line the 1G mount two two holes in the block behind the turbine housing. Then it was welded to the mount. Held up fine, car wasn't driven nicely.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned