The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

towing with another car?

VR_IV_MR

Hey this seems like a pretty dumb question, lol, but I am going to ask it anyway. Is it possible to install a hitch on a car and tow a galant on one of those uhaul auto carriers with a v8 car? I assume the only thing different about a truck that would give it the power to tow would be its transmission? I'm trying to bring my car to a shop about 100 miles away and I don't have any friends with trucks. Only my one friend with an 89 Deville, LOL. What are the chances of that thing towing my galant?

rdomeck

I may be way off here, but you may need to pull the drive shaft. Seems like have the front off the ground and the rear on the ground would want to turn the front wheels also! Your best bet is to call a flatbed wrecker. Yes it may cost you $150 or so in a tow bill, but you won't have to worry about anything happening to it on your dime......And I don't think you would be able install a hitch, rent a tow dolly, and pay for the gas there and back for the price of a flatbed!

Just my .02 cents worth!

xaisomboun

Any AWD car you would need a flatbed for it, unless you wanna go what ^^^ said above and pull the driveshaft (which seems like more of a hassle)

Terry Posten

Get a car dolly from Uhaul and remove the 4 bolts that connect the driveshaft to the rear diff. Strap the driveshaft up so the diff input can spin freely. Load the front wheels of the GVR4 onto the dolly and scraper her down good.

Your tow vehicle will need to be rated for Class III (3500lbs) and be able to support 350lbs for tounge wieght to safely do it.

Any full sized SUV or most mid sized SVUs can do that. The only cars that will be rated enough will be ones with full frames like the Crown Vic.

Good luck, be safe.

ScreaminE

Just rent a Uhaul F-150 and the $65 trailer. I know you're trying to save money, but unless you can find a vehicle capable of pulling a tow dolly, uHaul won't let you rent the dolly.

VR_IV_MR

lol sorry guys, I know that I can't tow the car with only two wheels on the ground and if I do want to I have to disconnect the driveshaft. Haha. Uhaul has the "car dolly" which drags 2 wheels, and the "auto transport" which supports all four wheels. I was talking about using the one that completely has the car off the ground, the "auto transport." Sorry for the confusion.

Spoiler: the auto transport will NOT work, the car dolly MIGHT

nevermind lol i found an alternative

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts