The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 seats

mitsuturbo

Lots of info on this. I suggest you check the How to and info archive, as well as perform a search.

edit: to answer your questions directly, and respectively.. No, and Yes. Furthermore, this should have been asked in the NEWBIES section.

Last edited:

alansupra94

You need modified rails or modify the galant vr4 rails.

I personally like the leather evo9 seats more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I won't be changing until I find a cheap set locally.

LIV4PSI

Curtis is the only one who makes brackets. They do look nice, but I don't see the fabrication necessary for them to be worth $200. Anyone who can weld, or has a friend that can, should be able to figure out a mounting solution.

turbowop

And people wonder why nobody makes anything for the DSM community or why some vendors are giving up on this platform. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

LIV4PSI

Custom mounting seats isn't that hard. Curtis even began his write up by saying that if you can weld, it isn't that difficult of a project.

Besides, DSMers have been cheap for 20+ years, its not a new and harmful trend to our community.

Last edited:

Lukefraizer

The truth is that Curtis is not the only one who make seat brackets for the evo seat to GVR4. I have a set of Bride Brackets that are quite a bit better. I have a set of Curtis's however I did not care for them much. I'll post a picture of them soon.

turbowop

I don't have Curtis brackets in my car for my Sparcos either, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go off saying how his aren't worth the coin, yanno? Some people don't have the means to make their own brackets. Curtis stepped up, fabbed up some decent parts, and charged a price for them. You can either pay for his, or shut the f*** up and do it yourself. No need to badmouth his stuff.

LIV4PSI

Wop, calm down my friend. No one (at least myself) was bad mouthing his work. I made sure to begin by saying that his rails looked nice. If you don't have the means to make your own, or want a bolt in solution, I'm sure they're worth the coin. But as Curtis said, if you have the ability to weld, they aren't that difficult to make.

I do apologize if any of my posts sounded disrespectful to Curtis. I don't see how voicing my opinion, which is what forums are all about, was bad mouthing him. I enjoy being part of such a tight knit community, and I have great respect for senior members such as yourself and Curtis.

Last edited:

curtis

Ok I'm thick skinned doesn't bother me one bit.
If you don't like them send them back and I'll sell them off to the ones on the waiting list for these.

Now I made money doing these but not what everyone thinks. And this isn't singling you or any one else out just stating some facts for you and others to think about when you see something for sale made by an individual.

Thing is with anything thats fabricated and sold by people on chat rooms there's always someone thats going to see a flaw in something of something else that needs to be done, priced to much etc. I personally wanted to bead blast all of these then alodine them all. If you've never heard of alodine do a google search. But figure in another 300 in materials and an hour times 37 sets of brackets to bead blast and dip them. When the smoke cleared I spent about 6 to 7 hours per set building them not counting writing code, building jigs for the mill and prototyping the stuff and do the logo's as a thank you. Probably somewhere around 300 to 350 total hours to do 37 sets. I did them all in less than a month. Not many people would take on a project like this or do it in 3 weeks no days off working 18 to 20 hours a day straight then wait to be paid. Something I didn't figure in was shipping time. Yea have to box and ship but on a group buy was hoping to make just a few trips. Actually made 27 separate trips to Fed ex at or around an hour each. Thats almost a full work week just running back and forth hell I can be to Key West and back in 27 hours

Some things are never thought of when parts are fabricated and these are some of the things I spent doing these.
2 inch aluminum 24 ft sticks
3 inch aluminum 24 foot sticks
1x1 aluminum 24 ft sticks

Had to get my buddy and his trailer to go get the metal. Paid him gas

2 bottles of argon at 75 a bottle
about 2 lbs of tig rod
end mills yea there small but micrograin carbide ain't cheap
used various 3/8, 1/2 inch and engravers think $50 or so each in tooling
saw blade for the miter saw, yes I use a carbide wood blade on aluminum the $50 ones, eats right through it but don't last long.
sander belts for my big sander
electricity to run the welder, mill, air compressor and various corded tools as well as for the lights to be on.
Material for the jigs for the mill
Just the bill for the hardware I included was over $350....Didn't want people using greasy ass rusty bolts
shipping to everywhere

I didn't figure in was wear and tear on the tools. Tools I used aren't cheap. Tig welder to replace would be about 2500, ball screws for the mill If I could find them is around 2K each times 3. I just got lucky and bought some longer ones for the mill with the correct pitch and tooth count so when I tear it down and have a new base and table built will triple the work envelope. Those two used were $850

When people build things it costs not only time but money just remember that.

While I've been around on this board I've been involved in some really cool projects, one lap team stuff, design end of the Boostx bushings and many phone calls about the lip spoilers, cop plates and I could count how many little custom projects that I've forgot about and the owner has never posted pictures of. Hell I've probably sold 100 gauge panels and some with custom things like usb ports. I make a living doing this stuff and wish I could do just custom parts but as Mark said about the cheap skate factor most have to do something else to make a living. I do stuff for locals and sell off parts. I'd much rather be doing custom parts but I don't make as much as selling on ebay so my shop stays trashed and things are constantly rotating through here. Just is what it is.

If people want to keep seeing parts built for there old cars they just need to think about some of the things I've said. John's bushings are still selling today but it took him fricking forever to recoop the money for the different molds. He has more in DSM/VR4 subframe bushing molds than 75% of the people on this board have in their built cars and I think the two molds he had done for the front lip have never been paid for so out of all he sold he still in the hole because he had to buy the boxes to ship them in, packing material to keep them safe, the resin to make them and the wood and buckets of material to make the mold. Think thousands of dollars to shell out to get a part from idea to design to production.

I do it because I like this place and these old brick shaped cars.... not for the money but you have to make something to live and pay for the tools used. Hope some of this will make some sense.

Rant over my sammiches are ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LIV4PSI

I wasn't attacking the price point and I am intelligent enough to know no one was making a fortune. Somehow or another its seems like my posts got taken out of context. And just because my friends and I have our own tools and some fabricating skills, it doesn't make me a cheap skate.

I will have EVO seats in my GVR4, and I may end up with a set of Curtis rails. But personally, I will see what I can come up with first. And its not because the Curtis rails are overpriced, its that my own labor is free.

Last edited:

James

It wasn't your post that he was talkin about.

I don't think so anyways.

turbowop

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I don't see the fabrication necessary for them to be worth $200.

This is the statement that made me want to post what I posted. It's pretty self-explanatory.

LIV4PSI

I guess I worded it wrong. The time and quality is there, and what's why people buy them. I was speaking more towards the simplicity of design. Either way, no offense was meant. I know Curtis doesn't care, but I do and would hate to be misinterpreted.

alansupra94

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif @ people that think quality welding is cheap and easy.

Not only do you pay for welding and materials, you pay for the welder's experience and expertise.

Some of you people are just f***ing retarded.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I will have EVO seats in my GVR4, and I may end up with a set of Curtis rails. But personally, I will see what I can come up with first. And its not because the Curtis rails are overpriced, its that my own labor is free.

I applaud you for clarifying your position. Like mentioned the original statement was way open to interpretation.

I would however like to comment on your last entry quoted above, "its that my own labor is free". Labor is another term for Time, and just what is your time worth either to you or your employer? Time with family, time with friends, time with your car, time at work, time-time-time. And we all know time is neither infinite or alterable.

I'm guessing you have some type of paid employment. Personally I do and when I head for the garage I estimate the time it should take to perform said job. Most times I'm behind the tools, other times I'm behind my wallet.

No doubt I prefer tools in my hand vs a TV/game remote. However paying someone for a clutch swap so I can attend my kids basketball game is a complete no-brainer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

supa_saloon

Quoting alansupra94:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif @ people that think quality welding is cheap and easy.

Not only do you pay for welding and materials, you pay for the welder's experience and expertise.

Some of you people are just f***ing retarded.

Just to add on to this, cheaper may put your safety at risk, especially if theyre the rails for your seats.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned