The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cant get my dp to seal at my turbo elbow

Ive got two gaskets on their and rtv, I don't think ill be able to get it to seal. I'm open to ideas though. It's a 16g elbow and 2.5 in flange that goes right to 3in dp. The flex pipe is also resting on the oil pan. Is this okay?
I'm going to be tuning my car soon and am wondering the effect of a leak at the dp?

mikus

Exhaust touching pan will cause you heartache, find a way to fix that.

Early exhaust leaks are very likely to interfere with o2 and wideband, it can totally skew a wideband reading, so yes that'll also likely be an issue.

Good luck!

Oh it already leaks lol. I honestly don't know what consists of a flex pipe. There must be a hard pipe in there, right?
I'm sure its not good for it to be resting on the oil pan, but I'm thinking it moves with the motor. Or will it wear a hole in the pan? Is there a pan I can run that may be a different shape?

ktmrider

Any contact = bad especially the engine components. Vibration in the chassis alone would drive me nuts.

What do you know bout that DP ( certain its AWD, 2g flange-to-cat matches the GVR4 )? And on your O2 housing is it an EVO3 type ( different flange angle than 1g/2g )?

I picked it up from a member, turbo back. Me: is it for a gvr4? Does it leak? Does it bolt up to a 16g elbow?
Him: yes, no, yes
Honestly nothing against him. I think he did tell me as he knew it.
Well, I got it with dents around the dp (so you could get a socket in to bolt it to the elbow), but there was another piece of pipe added to it before the flange to the elbow that doesn't have any dents. So its very hard to bolt up. Also dents at the rear at the diff and control arm. And a hole that I welded where he states his drive shaft created.
Well, it clears all the later just fine on my car, but I do wonder if my mounts have been modded. The car came with a thermal exhaust that sat at an extreme angle and hit the bumper cover... And the dp sat really low to clear the drive shaft loop. So I picked up this exhaust in hopes that it would bolt right up and allow me to lower my car. Well, up front the only problem is the leak at the elbow and the flex pipe on the pan. it tucked up rather nicely after the dp (up and out of the way so it wouldn't scrape). Out back it doesn't line up with either of the exhaust hangers. (the two in front of the muffler and the one behind). It actually fell off today, but that's my fault because I knew of the problem and didn't weld on custom hangers. But it did exit out the bumper cut out... I think the hangers on my car may have been modded...

DynastyLCD

the front bracket that attaches to the engine block, and then attaches to the motor mount, is that stamped 344?

Barnes

What the heck is a 16g elbow? You mean the o2 housing? Here are the most likely ones that you have:

1g
2g
Evo 3

Now, depending what you have, and the downpipe, you might have a mismatch. If you have for some reason an Evo3 O2 housing, a regular downpipe will not work. If you have a 1g/2g o2 housing, a downpipe built for a Evo O2 housing will not work. Perhaps this is your problem. Pics would help a lot.

Here are some pics, what I know about the exhaust I posted a few posts earlier. Is there a better gasket I could use?

WaRrIoRs16

There is a bracket that mounts to the stock DP. It could be in the way of your aftermarket DP. I have a 3" DP and I thought I had tightened it up to the o2 housing, but it was leaking. I took it off and found that it wasn't able to seal because that bracket was hitting the DP. removed the bolts holding the bracket on, problem solved.

Thank you for your input, but I no longer have that bracket. A friend told me about a copper gasket, I still have to look into that...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned