The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what would be the effect of having a big16g turbo and stock intercooler

kooter

Just wondering if that would be a part of the problem I had before pulling the engine.
Problem was around 4500 rpms car would stutter during WOT.

I recently found out after taking the engine apart it is a jdm engine. big 16 and yellow top injecters. It still had the stock intercooler.
Everything else is still stock as far as I can tell. Everything spark related was changed when I first got the car. I do mean everything. New from mitsu.

Last edited:

fuel

the intercooler would definitely be choking it up where it wouldn't be making max power at higher boost, but I would say it wouldn't cause a stutter.

What ECU and what MAF are you running? If running a stock USDM ECU and MAF I would put 450cc blue top injectors back into it because with the 510cc injectors it will be dumping in more fuel than the ECU is accounting for. You could use a keydiver chip specific for 510cc injectors. Either that or find a JDM Evolution ECU (MD165808) along with the JDM Evolution MAF to suit the 510cc injectors.

belize1334

You could well be experiencing fuel cut. The ECU shuts fuel off after about 15psi on the OEM ECU. Additionally, the OEM fuel pump is only good to about 15psi anyway, hence the fuel cut. Keep it below 12psi until you've upgraded the fuel system and intercvooler and rechipped the ECU.

Last edited:

Launch

the 1G MAS can be over run on a 16g lower than 15 lbs.
2G mas is plentiful, and perfect for your mods(16g/510)
keep an eye out for a 510 chip, or send your ecu off.
re-wire fuel pump
And ditch the stock IC, a JDM version would be much better

Is there really that few of people that burn chips anymore?
I still burn them.

Launch

seems to be alot on tuners, buring chips, and with ostrich and its ability for anyone to do it youd think more would be out there. I remember when you didn't like keydiver because he was far away lol. Now jeff just plain doesn't do it anymore. Maybe you should offer your services on one of the boards?
OP The ecu needs attention; caps, iac, acid damage check, etc before it gets a chance destroys the board. good eproms are getting harder to find

kooter

I will pull the ecu as soon as I research where it is and how to take it out. Probably monday and hopefully the temp outside will drop below 100 degrees. Been damn hot.

Question would be what is the best replacement if mine us damaged beyond repair. Or even just a suggestion for an upgrade/replacement.
I still know nothing about tuning.

Last edited:

deusamo

I had a similar problem on my old 2g. Big 16g, stock smic. At full throttle there was some pretty bad detonation. It felt like several bad misses in a row. Same as you I had new plugs and wires. I couldn't afford an upgraded intercooler at the time, but one day I noticed how hot the turbo outlet pipe was getting as it passed so close to the manifold. I took it off, put some header wrap on it, fired the car up and never had detonation again. I know this might sound crazy, but I swear it worked.

But I would definitely fix your injector issue. You really should not run a different size injector without an AFC or DSMlink or something like that. It's not doing you any good, and it could eventually cause problems. It's got to already be killing your mpg (not that mpg is a high priority for most of us). But running super rich can cause it's own problems.

I say wrap your turbo outlet pipe, make sure your manifold has a heat shield of some sort, swap your injectors back to stock, and see how it runs. Maybe clean out your intercooler. There's no use trying expensive solutions if they aren't actually solutions. You just end up adding more variables to the equation. Try one thing at a time (I'd recommend free/cheap stuff first), and work your way up. That way you don't end up with new problems and no idea which of your 'solutions' are to blame.

kooter

well right now the engine is out of the car. It is going to the machine shop.
I plan on a complete rebuild. I will be getting a new intercooler when it goes back into the car,
When I bought the car I was told it was completely stock. I know find out it has a jdm engine.
I did not upgrade the turbo or injectors.
The car was driven from atlanta to illinois, I drove it maybe 2 weeks out of 2 months that I had it then the engine came out of the car.
I have a pretty big list of thing's to do so I think it is going to be some time before the car is back out on the road.
Engine rebuilt. clean engine bay. remove abs and cruise. Put engine back in. Trans and transfer to jack's for rebuild. Driveshaft rebuild, rear diff rebuild.
Once I have the everything that makes the car move perfect I plan to have it painted. Then will redo interior. So I am going to guess sometime in late 2013 to early 2014 she should be ready to go.
Once I have her all pretty and perfect I hopefully have learned enough about the car to begin choosing what system to use for loggin/tuning and the like.
I realize I have a lot of work and even more learning to go.
I don't plan to be the biggest or then best. But I do want to be the last.
148 will live forever.

rdomeck

Sounds like you have a big list of things to do......Just about like my car when I purchased it. If your ever in Indianapolis, look me up. I run a fabrication business and have a full paint shop. I have been able to do all of the things you list to my car in the last year. Good luck with the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts