The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo fun

yeti

f*** ME SOLID

So i went to swap out hotside's and half way through i descide i cant get the turbine housing off(while kepping the rest of the turbo intact) with my down pipe( so i start putting back together, i snap one of the bolts from manifold to turbo into the hot side.
So i take out turbo switch back to the 7cm hot side and re install, to what i think to be a fully functioning hotside, i put it on and immediatly boost 25+ lbs, the hole for the WG was preety damn small so im geussing the air is just getting sucked by it and into my 3inch turbo back. .... OH and to top it off my oil feed line wont stop leaking even with new crush washers, should i use tephlon paste?..

im going to be either drilling broken bolt of of 14b tommarow or installing acracked ass hot side with a siezed stud in it, OR take my 7cm hotside out and port the hell out of the WG.. any comments/suggestions welcome.

Okayplayer

Take a look to see if you tweaked the oil feed line, maybe you cracked trying to get the hot side off. I feed from the ofh with a restrictor with no problems. If you wanna avoid the ass pain and wait a few days for mail, I can hook you up with a 7cm hot side on the cheap. LMK

yeti

definitely pm me with price this one will do for now..or i might swap to the 6cm ohtside tomorrow just for time being

yeti

So i had 14b hotside bolt extracted cost me 50$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

im going to be putting on the 14b tommarow i got tephlon paste a new oil feed line, hope for the best!

turbowop

Teflon paste won't do anything. The line seals with crush washers. Teflon paste or tape is for sealing tapered pipe thread.

yeti

Sorry i should of clarified,I did not mean without the crush washers.
I ended up installing new crush washers, new oil feed line,new oil feed bolt,and tephlon paste on the threads..

I also got some carbide bits and went to town on theEbay 7cm hot side, it should be done tomorrow along with a mitsu 7cm hot side im porting,but i think im going to keep the 6cm hotside on until i outflow it.

Barnes

Just an FYI, you will probably clog your oil supply line with that teflon paste. Teflon paste is absolutely NOT for anything other than tapered pipe threads. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

yeti

^ i thought tephlon paste dissolved in oil and coolant so was good to use?!

i dont have any leaks, other than a few drips from the return line/pan i think i might used 2gaskets there..

Barnes

I hope so for your sake. My buddy who works at AGP says they have customers who ruin their turbos all the time because they use teflon tape on oil supply line fittings. Maybe I'm wrong.

turbowop

Regardless of whether it's bad for the turbo or not, it's not necessary. Teflon paste and tape is only for tapered pipe thread. It does absolutely nothing to help seal straight threads.

BTW, I'm spelling "teflon" correctly. You're not. You're actually making it more difficult than it is. I swear, if it were actually spelled with a ph, you'd spell it with an f. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

yeti

^ hahaha
sorry bout that one my mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im pretty sure its ok for oil, as i used it because someone said they use teflon paste for anything that protrudes into the oil, as it dissolves, as teflon tape does not..

anyways its not leaking and its in the threads if my turbo does fry or my motor blow up i can always cry right?

i know its not necessary but nothing else was cutting it, and wanted to make sure...

as for my return line, am i ok too double up the gaskets there?

James

If the leaking stops.... It has nothing to do with the Teflon... As its been said, teflon tape/paste will do nothing at all.

turbowop

Quoting yeti:

as for my return line, am i ok too double up the gaskets there?

Do not double up gaskets. Why would you do that? It makes as much sense as putting teflon paste/tape on non pipe threads. I still can't believe you built your own engine. It's frustrating sometimes reading your threads because they're just so far out there.

Where is the return line leaking from? If it's from the connection at the oil pan, you need new crush washers between the flange and bolts, as well as a new gasket. If from the turbo outlet, you need a new gasket...just one.

Last edited:

yeti

YUP ,built this engine from scratch..

There is crush washers that go in between the flange and the bolts on the return line?

And it looked to be coming out where the gasket meets the pan right in the center its leaking, ive tried 4 new gaskets now. its not the gaskets, im geussing my pan is warped just enough right there to let some oil spill.

This is the first time ive heard of using crush washers on the 10mm bolts for the return line.

turbowop

Yes, there are crush washers. If you'd done your research on the site, or better yet, used the goddamn FSM, you would know that there are crush washers there that seal the bolts. Fawk, dude.

Street Surgeon

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh, look at that manual I sent you hoss...

Noobsauce

I have linked yeti the FSM many times. It's just laziness plain and simple. Again yeti you have proven to everyone that you are still not willing to learn for yourself and expect others to tell you what you need to do.

belize1334

Quoting yeti:

i put it on and immediatly boost 25+ lbs, the hole for the WG was preety damn small so im geussing the air is just getting sucked by it

Sounds like you have a knockoff turbine housing. They come preassembled with the larger 34mm flapper but the hole is about half the size of the OEM setup, so boost creep is a given. You can port it out so that it's about 1mm smaller than the flapper all the way around. Or You could get a different 7cm hotside. [plug]I happen to have one for sale.[\plug] I would recommend that over going back to a 6cm unless you're restricted by class rules like me. The 7cm are stronger, lighter, and better performing.

jnava

Staff member
I had a major leak on the banjo bolt, I was using new copper crush washers and they were too thick. I decided to tighten it and luckily I broke the banjo bolt, instead of the threads. I called Amber at Forced Performance and bought a new banjo bolt and aluminum crush washers. Issue over and dealt with. I think you should try that out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts