The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Big problem

xaisomboun

I was driving home last night from working experiencing my tachometer jumping all over the place. Im thinking this would be a misfire so I went home and swapped out power transisters/coilpacks.

That didnt work so I plugged the old ones back in and now this is where the horror begins.

The car BARELY starts and when it does, I have to give it a little gas, but even then it sounds like its running HORRIBLY.

I checked all my plugs and they seem to be in good shape, bpr6es ngk with new ngk wires just replaced so it cant be that.. could it?

Almost like its firing off 1 piston only..

So I thought to myself "Hey, why not check the ECU cause you've been putting that off since forever."

So I did.

Heres what came about.

Looks like minor acid damage?

I dont even know wtf all this crap is.. can someone explain??

And of course, non-eprom -_-

Im thinking this could be the cause, does anyone else have any input?

UPDATE: Changed the plugs, still doing the same thing.. Found out cylinders 2 and 3 arent firing at all.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Looks like omeone repaired acid damaged board (and replaced caps). If the acid wasn't cleaned up and continues to etch the runs, the situation could deteriorate such as you're experiencing. (that's a non-eprom by the way) It would be quickest if you could swap in a known-good ecu. WIthout that option, I would check that the plug wires didn't come off the coil. [A thought: I can't recall, but I think there is something in the coil pack or power transister (can't recall that name either) that can kill two cylinders.] Check compression...a head gasket blown through between 2&3 could drastically kill power from both cylinders since when one is on compression stroke the other is on exhaust stroke (no compression).

xaisomboun

it cant be the headgasket cause i pulled 2 & 3 and they werent sparking at all...

right now the only thing I can think of is the ecu since ive already swapped out 2 coil packs and 2 ignitors..

James

Randomly losing 2 cyls really sounds like the igniter. But I forget what 2 cyls are on each coil.

xaisomboun

FIXED!!! Looked at the wiring harness coming from the ignitor and it looked like someone did a hack job that didnt last too long.

mitsuturbo

Quoting James:
Randomly losing 2 cyls really sounds like the igniter. But I forget what 2 cyls are on each coil.

2/3 are on one coil
1/4 are on the other

When installing plug wires, it's best to remember (from front to back) "4 1 2 3"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts