The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newbie with 4g63 Base 5spd

First I do know that I don't truly have a gvr4 but a '92 base with a 4g63 slapped into it. From what I was told by the dude I bought it from is that the whole wiring harness was replaced to fit the engine (yr and car it came from is unknown) but somehow there is an Auto ecu mated with the engine. He also told me that sunroofs didn't come on these cars so the one I have is aftermarket. This thing also had a car phone installed sometime ago. So far I have replaced the struts, tie rods, oil pan gasket, front cover gaskets, timing belt, valve cover gasket, added a stock intercooler (yup you read that right it didn't have one when I bought it), boost gauge, 3" downpipe, 3" thrush glasspack, 3" performance cat, and dumped the exhaust out the passanger side in front of the tire (when bought had a slapped together evo exhaust scraping the ground). Pretty sure thats it but instead of enjoying my new investment it spent the first month in the driveway being worked on. Existing problems are that the power steering rack is leaking, pump not hooked up but driving the car, tach not working, high idle when cold, stumbling acceleration, battery and brake light pulse all the time but are lit up more when lights are on, and the rear bumper rotted out so driving around with just the beat up cover on no supports for now. My bro has two 1st gen lasers and has done a lot of FREE work on my car already so I know how to fix some of the things wrong but the problem area is mainly the high idle. I have checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any, checked for boost leaks and can't find any, and read that most problems are solved with the ficv. Am I on the right path? My second concern is the pulsing brake and battery dash lights. They don't come on all the way but are dim and pulse, I believe it's a bad ground but not sure where to start. Last but not least where does the tach hook up and where should I start with that? There are many connectors from the harness that are just hangin there with no place to plug in. Soooo Sorry for soooo much crp in a first post but I figured I would throw it all out there and give you guys a good laugh for the newbie. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

James

I made it up to 92base and said f*** this sh*t.

First I do know that I don't truly have a gvr4 but a '92 base with a 4g63 slapped into it. From what I was told by the dude I bought it from is that the whole wiring harness was replaced to fit the engine (yr and car it came from is unknown) but somehow there is an Auto ecu mated with the engine. He also told me that sunroofs didn't come on these cars so the one I have is aftermarket. This thing also had a car phone installed sometime ago.

So far I have replaced the struts, tie rods, oil pan gasket, front cover gaskets, timing belt, valve cover gasket, added a stock intercooler (yup you read that right it didn't have one when I bought it), boost gauge, 3" downpipe, 3" thrush glasspack, 3" performance cat, and dumped the exhaust out the passanger side in front of the tire (when bought had a slapped together evo exhaust scraping the ground). Pretty sure thats it but instead of enjoying my new investment it spent the first month in the driveway being worked on.

Existing problems are that the power steering rack is leaking, pump not hooked up but driving the car, tach not working, high idle when cold, stumbling acceleration, battery and brake light pulse all the time but are lit up more when lights are on, and the rear bumper rotted out so driving around with just the beat up cover on no supports for now.

My bro has two 1st gen lasers and has done a lot of FREE work on my car already so I know how to fix some of the things wrong but the problem area is mainly the high idle. I have checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any, checked for boost leaks and can't find any, and read that most problems are solved with the ficv. Am I on the right path?

My second concern is the pulsing brake and battery dash lights. They don't come on all the way but are dim and pulse, I believe it's a bad ground but not sure where to start.

Last but not least where does the tach hook up and where should I start with that? There are many connectors from the harness that are just hangin there with no place to plug in. Soooo Sorry for soooo much crap in a first post but I figured I would throw it all out there and give you guys a good laugh for the newbie. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

James

My post didn't have to do with you having a base model, I myself have a 90gsx with a 4g63t swapped in.

Your second post was much better. Though hopefully you got it for a good price! Not being a real vr4 On top of all the work needed and all. Good Luck hope you get it worked out!

LIV4PSI

Get a FIAV block off plate. The internal throttle body seals may be shot, so you should consider having your throttle body rebuilt. You really might as well recap the ECU too.

misterfixit

Pulsing lights will be a bad ground.

Follow the battery negative strap down from the terminal undet the air cleaner. There's an m6 bolt that ties it off to the body there. That is the MAIN battery ground to the body. Pull it, tap it out. clean the tab. re-install with a shiny bolt and lots of antisieze (copper helps) and that should get you on the right road.

Have a look at you'r brother's dsm's, there should also be two little ground straps from the back of the inlet manifold to the firewall. If they are missing them, reinstale them.

Then search a little and grab the shop manual. Tach should be easy to fix. get the circuit diagram and work your way through.

Kind regards,

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned