The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone here running frozen boost water/air intercooler?

Vr4junkie

Want to see if anybody here is running a frozen boost water/air intercooler heres the kit i'm looking at click doesn't seem too high priced. Here's another link this one is on a DSM click so if any body here running any type of water/air intercooler let me know what type of core you used and if you ran into any clearance issues and pics of the engine bay would great.

Last edited:

alansupra94

I know there is a car in NJ running a setup like that. Making BIG power.

Vr4junkie

Is he a member on the board.

ade

gizmovr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
click

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Oh yea forgot about him definitely got to pm him might just have to go on the member show case and see who's running theses.

Vr4junkie

Anybody know who's car this is I was looking in the members show case randomly getting pictures and now I can't find the link need to ask him a few question about his setup.

RedTwo

Bazeng is running a dry ice/air cooler setup too. I think he's running like 1,000,000 HP.
Maybe even 1,000,002 HP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

But that's over 9000^^^!!!!

brisvr4

I just ordered one of their 600hp kits with the type 4 cooler and type 118 heat exchanger.
I'm going to add an ice box for it as well.

belize1334

Quoting vr4junkie:
Anybody know who's car this is I was looking in the members show case randomly getting pictures and now I can't find the link need to ask him a few question about his setup.

That's me. It works but it's no bolt in affair. You have to do a fair bit of head-scratching to get it all in there. And that's not from FrozenBoost. That core is like 4.5x6x11 instead of the 4.5x4.5x10 that you get on FrozenBoost. I think I got it here...
click

The pump is from a Ford Lightning. The reservoir is from a Saleen Mustang. And the heat exchanger is one of these.
click

I have the heat exchanger mounted in front of the radiator where my AC condenser used to be.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

is this a daily driver if so how does this set up work for you during summer time let's say 90 degree weather if it gets that hot out of there.

Last edited:

belize1334

My water pump runs anytime the ignition is on. I have a pair of 7" fans on the front of the heat exchanger which are wired off of the AC fan relay so they come on either by hitting the A/C switch in the cabin or as a response to the coolant temp exceeding 210F. Water circulates from the front heat exchanger to the intercooler and back. A little reflective tape on the surface of the intercooler keeps it from heat-soaking in the engine bay. I daily drive it and also autocross. It sees temps from -20F to 100F. 20psi on my 14b with no knock and no heat-soaking that I'm aware of. I'd say that this exact setup should be good enough for 400+whp. It could take more if you put ice in the water but I'm not a fan of "temporary" power gains. The only downside is that the system is more complex than a FMIC. Other than that I'd say it's fine for DD.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Alright thanks for your input I been getting mixed review some say its fine for DD other say im better off with a FMIC the only thing were I live in the summer time it gets to 100F+ and mid 80 low 90F at night time not sure how well it would work.

All in all how difficult was it to install any welding,cutting, making brackets, any thing have to go in order for it to work?

Vr4junkie

Quoting brisvr4:
I just ordered one of their 600hp kits with the type 4 cooler and type 118 heat exchanger.
I'm going to add an ice box for it as well.

Let me know how it works out and post some pics once you got it installed and running.

belize1334

Quoting vr4junkie:

All in all how difficult was it to install any welding,cutting, making brackets, any thing have to go in order for it to work?

As for performance, the long and short is that you want the two cores (intercooler and heat-exchanger) to be "roughly" the same volume, with an emphasis on the intercooler which should be as big as you can fit in order to instantly transfer heat into the water. The front heat exchanger can then radiate that heat over a prolonged period so it doesn't have to be as big. When people say they're not good for DD, they're usually thinking of running a big ice-bath and no front heat exchanger. That's not what we're doing here.

Installation is a pain in terms of the tetris aspect, but simpler than fabbing an FMIC and, if you put the HE where your AC condensor used to be, requires less cutting than an FMIC job. And you get the benefit of an ULTRA-SHORT intake path which makes for fantastic tip-in throttle response.

Total investment, if you do it right the first time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif is going to be about the same as a prebuilt kit. Figure $300 for the two intercoolers, $200 for the pump and reservoir of your choosing, $100 for turbo outlet pipe (either custom or modified prefab), and then $1,000,000 for couplers and miscellaneous fittings. You'll also need a bracket to support the intercooler (mine is an ACE turnbuckle mounted to the transmission) and a bracket to hold the HE in place (mine is a pair of aluminum sheets with holes drilled that go to the front cross-member and hood latch bracket). I'll take some pics when I get home tonight.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Would It be possible to mount the heat exchanger in the position were the FMIC goes instead of putting it were the A/C condenser is also can you keep the AC with a intercooler setup like this or its one of those things that just has to go.

Pics would be great when ever you can.

belize1334

Anything is possible. The stock FMIC is really small so there's not a lot of space for it. If you can find a heat exchanger that will fit there then I'd say go for it. Mind you, you'll want the heat exchanger to be bigger than the stock FMIC or you're not gaining much. You may also be able to just run it between the frame and the bumper support. As for the AC, anything is possible. It just depends on getting the two cores to fit somewhere. Water lines are pretty small so if the cores fit then the fluid should be doable. You really just have to start searching the web for parts and then measuring empty space around the front of the car to see where things will fit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts