The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hey guys need some help possable spun bearing?

So I bought boostedinaz. A.k.a michael old laser off a third party for 2k. And like my old gvr I started to hear this nasty knocking sound around 2000 rpm then it would go away or I could not hear it any more at higher pms .. then one day it was really bad and Michael found the harmonic ballancer was wabeling all over from a missing/ broken bolt ... he helped me out big time and while we were at it we changed the timing belt. This fixed the constant tap I was hearing but not the original sound I heard it sounds like its from the top .... well I loaned the car to my brother and now it sounds like hell again at a cold start it makes a quick knock then its idles fine but if you take it to 1500 or more its a nasty knock ... we pulled the pan and there a ton of aluminum shavings I'll post a pic ... what can this be from I thought the bearings were brass or gold in color? Its hot as hell here in as so I did not try moving the rods or pulling end caps yet... thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:

Olson

got a bad bearing there son

rdomeck

Do you still have the balance shafts? May be a bad balance shaft bearing or the bearing has came out of the bore!

Yes they are there still and I was told this could be the case ? and can this be checked in the car do I have to pull the head? Thanks for the help again

yeti

PITA to check while in car, your better off pulling motor dropping crank/pistons/block off at machine shop clean it all up and put new rings/bearings.. really easy once motor is out of car..

turbowop

Do a quickie balance shaft elimination by replacing the rear shaft with the stubby and cut the belt to the front shaft but leave it in. Put oil pan back on and see what happens.

I had bearing slivers in my pan back in '03 when I pulled the pan to do the BSE. It was thsoe bearings. No issues since.

AnotherNewb

Quoting rdomeck:
Do you still have the balance shafts? May be a bad balance shaft bearing or the bearing has came out of the bore!

This. Hook a drill up to the oil pump and spin it over. If its the rear balance shaft you'll hear it.

rdomeck

It sucks, but either way you look at it....That block is coming out. I was given advise on the balance shaft and come to find out the bearing had came out of the bore and my #3 main was not getting any oil for 400 miles. I'm not sure if you would call it luck, but my timing belt slipped due to someone not having everything tight and bent all my valves. When I disassembled it I found the main bearing problem. Luckily it didn't hurt the crank.

Pull the block and be sure. If nothing else you'll find a simple fix, put new gaskets in and keep on driving!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned