The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

radiator exploded on new motor...replacement?

yeti

So i warmed motor, drained oil/ filter , torqued head to 120, then i filled back up took around block engine breaking and boosting a bit to set rings.. My dam alt was still squeeling im not sure why then it riPs to pieces and lodges in the ps pump.. i turn around and head home since i did enough pulls to set rings and over heated and popped the radiator...

My questions are..

Can i use a 1g rad. With thermostat housing...

And why this alt wont stop squeeling( i know, to loose belt squeels;to tight bearing in alt squeels.) should i ty another

mitsuturbo

dont use a 1g radiator.. they dont fit right
get a GVR4 radiator, or just get an AFCO Scirocco racing radiator and call it a day

if you put some 1g radiator in there, it's going to look like sh*t, especially if YOU are the one making it fit

ktmrider

Quoting yeti:
click

im not a f***ing retard, starting to get pissed off with all the down talk...

By using the Search function like you did ( altho after the fact this time ) you'll save yourself these types of comments. Asking questions when the answer is readily available is IMO insulting as it comes across as if your time is more valuable than ours.

BTW "blowing up" a radiator due to overheating is NOT a common occurence.

And finally the belt squeak could very well be due to the pulley orientation, it can go on 180 out however the alignment to the alt will be way out.

yeti

No, me being a jackass trying to make it to oreilly while at 230*then i parked the car for a few and tried to drive 3 blocks to auto store, radiator popped at about 255*...
Car ran strong before belt broke...
( and i know i am retarded for doing this i beat my self up all night hoping i didnt warp or break anything)
-(i forgot water pump ran off alt belt, for some reason i felt timing belt moved it)

Im sorry i didnt use the search function before i know i should have but i probably would have made a thread after anyways just to get personal opinion..

my time is not more valuable sorry if i make it seem that way..

About the pulley do you mean the pull on the alt?
because i never changed my alt, i did put RTV on back of water pump pulley to get it to stick to other pulley, and that's when the squeeling began, i cleaned off ALL of the RTV i'm guessing the bearings in the alt...

i don't want to be known as some retard on this forum please, i've think i've come a far way considering it took my 2 weeks to change an alternator in the beginning, now i built my own engine from scratch.

I Will try to use more punctuation and common sense and search before i post sorry for the trouble and really appreciate the help.. COULD NOT OF CAME THIS FAR WITHOUT THE .ORG

I dont think demotivating comments help anyone, please if you think its hard dont tell me YOU SHOULDENT DO IT, tell me its hard and should reconsider or be down to make it fit.

I appreciate all the help from people even when they dont feel i deserve the help once again i greatly appreciate it

Last edited:

alansupra94

I actually made a 1G radiator fit and doesn't look that wierd. Burping the system was a little of a pain but it works fantastic now. However in your case I would get what people mentioned since it is easier. I just ran the 1G radiator because I got it in a package deal and it was a really nice Fluidyne radiator.

Just saying it CAN be done.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

You've now built your own engine, and put it in the car. Is this correct?

What belt broke? The WP/Alt belt? I see no mention of a broken belt anywhere else in this thread. This is the first mention of it.

I think what i'm pulling out of this, is that your alt/wp belt broke, and you drove the car around. Subsequently, one of the radiator end tanks popped. If this is the case... i'm not going to be mean. The self-ownage is evident. You should really check your radiator cap. It should have been new, along with this new engine you've put together. It should have been the point of failure, not the radiator itself. That's why caps are developed so as to bleed off excess pressure. Generally, this is somewhere between 9 and 13 psi, i believe.

Now that you need a radiator, you can consider some options. The compact aluminum honda radiators are easy to mount, and some have had success with them. I ran one on 1411 for about a year. Worked fine.
Looks like a 1g will work, but most cases i've seen, they're installed in not such a great way, look like sh*t, flop around, and end up causing more headache than they're worth. If you're considering a 1g radiator, i suspect you may be considering a USED radiator. Keep in mind that any used radiator is going to be just about as old, brittle, and potentially shitty as the one you just blew up. I strongly urge you to consider a new replacement, no matter what the cost. I tried running used radiators in 161/2000 some years ago, and kept running into issues. They're old. Really old. If left unused, it seems they sort of "dry up" after a while and the tanks become more brittle as well.

As of the time of THIS thread it appears that major auto parts stores can get you a radiator. If you have no luck there, i see a 2 row aluminum replacement on ebay for around $200. AFCO Scirocco radiators are a bit more, but I'm not sure they are easy to set up if you wish to keep your A/C. If your A/C is removed, the Afco unit is the way to go.

mikus

ya I think I have a 1G radiator too, unless there's aftermarkets without caps being sold for vr4s? looks/works fine, I average 195º with a 180º Mitsu thermostat.

Terry Posten

The pulley that can be put on backwards is the water pump pully.

Look directly down the front of the motor without any belts on, you can tell if the pully grooves are mis-aligned. You can really tell after the belt is on.

yeti

Quoting mitsuturbo:
You've now built your own engine, and put it in the car. Is this correct?

What belt broke? The WP/Alt belt? I see no mention of a broken belt anywhere else in this thread. This is the first mention of it.

Quoting yeti:
My dam alt was still squeeling im not sure why then it riPs to pieces and lodges in the ps pump..

not the best english, my bad not your fault for not catching it..

i appreciate the hospitality, like i said I KNOW i should have not of run the motor again but i did like a jackass, enough said..

And great point on my radiator cap I will get a new one, Right now i have no house so a new radiator is not an option. I have a 1g gst that i can pull the radiator off of and plenty of thermostat housings.
will try that route first..
Another question.

Can i use a base model galant radiator, will it be the same as the g-vr4's ?

JSchleim18

I really don't have much to offer to you yeti but I respect you still coming around and asking for help. Even the fact you put the motor together yourself and are continuing to learn is over and above what 90% of the people here do. Bravo to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Best of luck with the vehicle

5OF2k

Id honestly look into a 3 core civic 1/2 sized aluminum unit. I have one on #5/2000 and it works, and looks better than the factory gvr4 unit i had in there before. I've never ran looked into actual coolant temp, but the factory temp guage sits about 1/3 up in all weather, even in the 90* days we've had recently, regardless if im putting around or driving "spiritedly". Best part about it is it cost me a measly $60 from craigslist.

G/L sir, hang in there!

-Jake

mitsuturbo

Quoting yeti:

Another question.

Can i use a base model galant radiator, will it be the same as the g-vr4's ?

You can use them. Not the greatest option, but they'll work in a pinch.

yeti

Thanks for the positive feedback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, il keep on keepin on!!

Anyways
im going to be dropping my eclipse's rad. in tomarrow,
Is the base model galant's rad. the same design as our's?
or is it the same design as 1g's?

yeti

Quoting 5OF2k:
Id honestly look into a 3 core civic 1/2 sized aluminum unit. I have one on #5/2000 and it works, and looks better than the factory gvr4 unit i had in there before. I've never ran looked into actual coolant temp, but the factory temp guage sits about 1/3 up in all weather, even in the 90* days we've had recently, regardless if im putting around or driving "spiritedly". Best part about it is it cost me a measly $60 from craigslist.

G/L sir, hang in there!

-Jake

Is this the radiator you are talking about..
click

What will i need as far as sensors go?, isnt there a sensor in the bottom of the stock rad. for the fan?
other than that just diffrent hoses correct?

rdomeck

There have been lots of discussions on the half size radiators. Do some research and make your own judgement, but most do not have very good luck with them. It's just what it says....Half size! Sounds like your funds have run out that you had budgeted for the car? Buy the right one so you don't have to spend money modifying something different. I purchased a new radiator for mine from Carquest for $140. Direct fit!

ktmrider

Quoting yeti:
About the pulley do you mean the pull on the alt?
because i never changed my alt, i did put RTV on back of water pump pulley to get it to stick to other pulley, and that's when the squeeling began, i cleaned off ALL of the RTV i'm guessing the bearings in the alt...

No like mentioned the pulley on the water pump where the belt goes. From Tooners: The outer pulley is on backwards. The dished part should be facing in to the engine.

img.php

img.php

Wrong is first, correct is second.

yeti

Putting the 1g rad. In now, see how it goes..

And about the half size the only issue i could find( other than over heating) is that theres a plug on the bottom of the radiator; does the half size have one, or a threaded fitting?

Preety sure the ps pulley is facing that way, will check though..
The thing is the belt squeeled on the last engine so its definitely not a new problem.

( first use of ; is that correct punctuation?)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned