The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What crank pulley?

Mine is cracked around the edges, so I've been researching lightweight ones. I don't see any problems with them, sounds like a good idea to me?

But there are many that say it's a bad idea, but have no proof to back it up...

I don't want to under drive my accessories, but I do want my engine not to work as hard (lighter would mean this, correct)?

I have really only seen unorthodox brand, are these a different diameter than stock?

mitsuturbo

Some people advise strongly against using a solid aluminum lightweight pulley like the Unorthodox ones.

I ran one for a long time and saw no ill effects. I'm not really for, or against them, per-se. It's up to you.

Here is a discussion on the subject: click

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

The stock crank pulley is a harmonic balancer. Lightweight pulleys are not. Will your car blow up from removing the harmonic balancer? Of course not. Is there better ways to make horsepower or for that matter remove rotational mass? In my opinion, of course. Its a crapshoot as posted above.

So maybe I should drop the 140 on a new OEM one, my goal is reliable fun car, and I've been dropping some crazy coin on this project!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting LIV4PSI:
The stock crank pulley is a harmonic balancer.

No, it really is not. The crank and pistons are balanced internally, not externally (which requires an actually harmonic balancer). It is a damper (think the springs in the clutch) albeit a very stiff one. That is what you lose going with a solid one.

LIV4PSI

I have always heard it referred to as a harmonic balancer, thank you for clarifying. I bought a used Fluidampr pulley for 1501 off of Craigslist for $150, still new in the box. They are a little pricey otherwise, but I like retaining the damper. Its a game of inches after all, and it helps with my peace of mind.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned