The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pull engine with or without tranny?

5OF2k

with. Still dont have a service manual, do you?

DR1665

Pull engine WITH tranny. Stabbing the trans is a PITA, but I have to think it's much easier when you don't have to get everything lined up mid-air.

20120317_125920-495x371.jpg

And everyone here has a FSM. It's hosted under the Library link at the top of every page.

mitsuturbo

I've always dropped the transmission out the bottom, and pulled the engine out the top. Installation has been reverse of removal.

It's just easier for me to get the mounts and such lined up (and not snag on anything) when there's less to deal with at once.

5OF2k

^I've never done it like that, I've always dropped both right out of the bottom.... Then again, I have lifts and all of the other tools to make that my easiest option. I'd still tend to think taking it out together would be the best bet..... I dunno, call me crazy...

-Jake

yeti

^HAH i wish..
I will be pulling together since it took me two days to get the tranny back on under my camaro(only about a foot and a half of the ground, if that)

And i have the part in the manual for the engine in print but rest is online

Also how should i tie the engine up,intake and exhaust?

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting 5OF2k:
^I've never done it like that, I've always dropped both right out of the bottom.... Then again, I have lifts and all of the other tools to make that my easiest option.

-Jake

This is the only way to go if you have a lift available, and is how i've done every car when i worked as a tech at various different places (including the mitsu dealership).

mitsuturbo

Quoting yeti:
^HAH i wish..
I will be pulling together since it took me two days to get the tranny back on under my camaro(only about a foot and a half of the ground, if that)

And i have the part in the manual for the engine in print but rest is online

Also how should i tie the engine up,intake and exhaust?

What do you mean "tie the engine up" ?

There are standard lift points on the engine for removing the entire assembly. If you're lacking the one on the exhaust manifold, or do not wish to use it, it's common practice to use the bolts on the large L bracket engine mount as a lift point (above the PS pump). Just bolt down one end of the chain there, and the other end to the bracket between the head and throttle body/intake mani.

In my experience, if you're going to tear the whole engine down, it's easiest to just take the head and manifolds off together, first thing, while it's still all bolted into the vehicle. That way you can just use old head bolts to lift the assembly out.

yeti

Now thats another thought.

Everything is done, only thing left are mounts i will take the head off then pull the engine.

yeti

Was just thinking about it i was planning on holding cam sprockets and breaking crank/oil pump sprocket off..
So kinda dont know if i should take head off.
Is that my best bet on breaking those free,or would there be another way with the head off.

And my plan is to pull this motor and build the fresh rotating assembly/fresh head (but have to assemble the valvetrain first) then drop that back in the car ALL TOMARROW...wish me luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

HHIVR4

You can do either way..With trans attached youll have to angle the trans lower than the engine for clearance.If your take the trans off its a straight up simple drop in..Then you can do a Polish spec trans install which takes 5 minutes.

mitsuturbo

Quoting yeti:
Was just thinking about it i was planning on holding cam sprockets and breaking crank/oil pump sprocket off..
So kinda dont know if i should take head off.
Is that my best bet on breaking those free,or would there be another way with the head off.

I just use an impact gun. I've done it without one, and it's kind of a PITA. I put something in between the crank counterweights and the block, then use a breaker bar to get flywheel and pulley bolts loose.

Vr4junkie

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting yeti:
So kinda dont know if I should take head off.

I just use an impact gun. I've done it without one, and it's kind of a PITA. I put something in between the crank counterweights and the block, then use a breaker bar to get flywheel and pulley bolts loose.

Yea used to have the same problem its kind of a pain without a impact gun you should invest in one of theses there like 30 to 40 bucks at harbor and work great I break fly wheel bolts,crank pulley bolts with out a problem

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned