The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I broke my Second compression ring-Help

yeti

So as I was putting on the last piston's rings and I snapped the 2Nd compression ring,

So my choices are
1.Buy a new set of rings.
2.Use best looking ring from the used rings I have,(which I installed for the time being)

Just thought I would ask for advice before I installed the pistons.

Terry Posten

Don't re use, call manufacturer and get a new one sent.

You have come his far, don't skimp on this part.

yeti

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Geuss I will thought that's what I was gonna do.

Thanks how much is a single piston ring? Geuss I will find it tommarow.

Thanks for the help,
The machine shop owner told me no one sells single rings, and to just re use the old ones or buy a new set.

Barnes

Doesn't hurt to call and ask.

biglady112

I would clean up and scuff up one of the old rings if they are the same size rings. There should be info on how to refresh old rings around the internet. 99% doubtful you will be able to purchase a single ring. Usually only by the set.

rdomeck

Come on....By a new ring or a set! Think of the work you will have to do it doesn't seal. Why not just re-use all your old rings? Your doing a rebuild for a reason, right?

yeti

Murderous dealership wants 236 for set of piston rings, they can't order a set for a single piston or single rings.

Depending on what I find on the net anyone on a computer wanna help me search for npr piston rings.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

click

Or

click

Make sure you get the right ones by measuring your old (broken) one.

yeti

Is it bad to mix piston rings?

I feel like i should use NPR if im gonna buy new rings,
also i think the last link i posted was the same part number as the ones on all the other pistons, so il check when get home and go from there..

NPR is a trusted brand correct?

Im using the IROC bearings for this build hoping they are trusted, and i've heard good things about ITM i believe..

biglady112

It is alright to mix rings if you have to. But partsdinosaur is a very good alternative to your problem here. I used a set of their rings recently in a rebuild on a Suzuki Samurai I sold. The rings worked out great and had awesome compression.

DR1665

I would trust anything Bruce (Parts Dinosaur) has in his store. Just buy the whole set if you have to. Believe me, the LAST thing you want to do is get this thing back together and find that cylinder is low or makes no compression. As much as it sucks to spend even MORE money on this goddamned car, and as little confidence as you might have remaining - in your ability to work on cars or even your desire to even keep this one - this stupid little ring has to endure BILLIONS of explosions over its lifetime. Do you really want to take the chance?

I would buy the set from Parts Dinosaur and replace ALL the rings again. Peace of mind. Besides, at this point, you've got plenty of practice and will be able to install them PERFECTLY in about HALF the time. When you fire that engine back up, you can do so LIKE A BOSS because you KNOW those rings are done right.

A properly assembled engine with off-brand parts is often more reliable than the one hastily slapped together with expensive, brand name parts.
If it's worth doing. It's worth doing right the first time.

Keep us posted. As mentioned it's certainly not worth risking for the labor if incase. But best of
Luck

yeti

I bought the ones in my post above with the part nmber they said its for 89-92 4g63 t npr rings
For 26.00

Just found out I'm having akid gotta save that cash.

Hope to god these are the same npr pistons I'm using on the other pistons.
They said they were the same.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned