The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hi, Going to look at a vr4

So, If the car isn't sold by the time I wake up tomorrow, I'm gonna take a long ride to look at a pretty clean vr4
The woman that owns it told me this
It has between 140 and 150k miles (I think it was 144 something)
it is her late husbands car, when he died in 2010 she held on to it.
She said she started it couple times a month, moved it around, etc.
The inside is clean, has a wear spot on the drivers bolster (what older cars dont... )
Outside as well, I didn't see any rust in the pics.
She said her husband was a mechanic. The pics of the engine bay are really clean, Air box is stock. I couldn't tell about the exhaust.
Apparently everything works great.

My plans for such a vehicle would be restore the suspension, get some better looking wheels, DD and Auto-x stock class. So im not so much worried about the bushings being shot..

What I would like to know is if the turbo seals could have gone bad. And how I could tell. I come from MR2s and VWs (aw11 with 20v and very nice stock class-ish g60 corrado)So I don't have much turbo experience outside of driving friends cars and helping them work on their stuff.. etc..

If I get the car it will need to make the 4.5 - 5 hour ride back to my house. As clean as it is, I'd like to think it is in solid shape.

I'd also like to know what else could be wrong from sitting. She assured me it had sat in a drive way, but the pics she sent were in her back yard.

mikus

If the owner can't state, and prove by driving, how well the turbo is working --- assume it'll need work.

You can't tell easily without gauges and without pushing it, and you shouldn't push it hard until you've gone through more detailed inspection (fuel/boost level/leaks etc). Assume it might need a turbo and factor that into price, Mitsubishi turbos are relatively cheap. Who knows, maybe it's in top shape and you're now ahead of the game.

It's not the perfect answer, but I think it's a good answer if you need to ask

No sooner than I logged back in in got a text saying it was sold..
So there is that...

It's alright man/ just keep the cash in hand and be patient about it.
Have you had a 4g car before? May not be a bad idea to reconsider. Haha, jk of course. Good luck with the hunt!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts