The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

breaking in motor

yeti

Main questions are I need to drain my gas tank of e85 and clean fuel pump/injectors, put in 91 and stock turbo and injectors but keep whinebro in, convert dsmlink back to stock, except for fuel pressure.

I know I should break the car in on gasoline but I know there's gonna be some exd leftover inthere.

Should I break in on e85?

Also upon first start up should I drive around the block,rev the engine, idle for 30 mins, go do hot laps?

And then change oil after 500-1000 miles and then its broken in

TomN

Start the car and let get to operating temp. Shut it down and drain the oil and put new oil in then start it back up go for a ride around block bringing it back to operating temp then floor it in 2nd and 3rd revving it to around 5500 rpms and letting off and letting motor slow you down. Do that a few times then drain oil and refil. Then go drive it like normal.

TomN

I honestly do not have a opinion on that. We do not have E85 down here so I have never used it or looked into pros and cons of it for such a thing as break in. My opinion on that would be based on no personal experience and I dont give those.

Street Surgeon

I would break it in on normal gas with a normal (stock) tune. As mentioned before I'd start it, let it warm up to the full operating temp and then perform an oil change (use break-in oil or SAE30w), and re-torque the head studs and exhaust manifold studs. You don't have to, it's just something I (and others) do. Once you've completed that I'd find a nice hilly area and give her a lil' gas going up the hills and TONS of engine breaking going down the hills ala moto-tune method for a few hundred miles. After that, regular but not harsh driving until 750/1000 miles and let her rip. That's just me.

Also, this is how I performed or would recommend you perform the oil changes.

Warm to normal operating temp - Change oil
First 50 miles - Change oil
Next at 200 miles - Change oil
Next at 500 miles - Change oil
Next at 1000 miles - Change oil

Then you're set.

Last edited:

yeti

Gotcha sounds good, thanks for all the help..

And I should use sae30w for just the first start up right then use normal oil after that?

5OF2k

street surgeon explained it almost exactly how I do it. However, I will run the straight 30W oil all the way up to the 1K mark, then switch to full synthetic. Also, reverting the car back to the factory setup would most definitely be your best bet. That way, any holes in your base tune/etc wont damage the fresh build. Or, you can always go with the dyno break-in and have it broken in on the dyno and tuned for your new setup in one swing (check with your tuner on this, as everyone has a different opinion on which route to take when it comes to breaking in an engine).

hope that helps!

-Jake

Street Surgeon

30w 'til she's fully broken in, and then switch over to whatever oil you deem worthy. Personally I used Brad Penn 20w50 but that part is your call, they also make a 10w30 oil as well if that's your thing. It's your call what kind of oil to use after breaking the motor in though.

GSX_TC

All the big shops like AMS, FP, Buschur, Magnus etc etc use this method of breaking in motors. This is what I recommend click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts