The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

horsepower in relation to turbo lbs/min ratings

VR_IV_MR

I know everyone says multiply the lbs/min of the turbo by 10 to get the horsepower.

So lets say a 64 lbs/min turbo = 640 horsepower.

Is this 640 hp at the crank on race gas?

Or is it 640 hp at the wheels on pump gas?

Big difference lol...

5OF2k

General flow numbers of a turbocharger can relate to HP numbers, but in all honesty its more about the amount of power that specific turbo can support on "build x", rather than a dead on accurate number game. Different turbochargers do different things on different motors, it depends a lot on the specific build, supporting mods, and tune moreso than what the specific unit flows. For instance, you'll see different results with the same turbo on two different motor builds, i.e. A high comp vs low comp build/etc. More than anything, the turbo flow specs are there to tell you what you'll need fuel wise, cam wise, and build wise to be able to withstand the pressuresthe turbo is capable of creating. Its more a tool for tuning than a "you'll dyno at xxx with this turbo". Make sense?

thecman02

EST HP Numbers are usually the max flow at an acceptable efficiency . These horsepower numbers are usually best to assume on race gas with a high flowing setup (supporting mods ie cams,intake manifold, intercooler,plenty of fuel, and a healthy engine/tune). The bigger the turbine housing you get the easier it is to hit/come closer those est numbers on pump gas though. That's all at the cost of spool up characteristics.

Barnes

Why do you want to come up with some type of formula or whatever? Why don't you just look to the results of people that run various turbos and base your turbo choice off of that? (I'm assuming that's why you are asking all of this.)

VR_IV_MR

i was just looking for a rough estimate. thanks for the input i figured it out

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned