The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

installing STD pistons

yeti

-First thing i need to do is

Square the ring in the bore
check ring 1-3 to be within this spec
No. 1 0.25-0.40 mm (.0098-.0157 in.)
No.2 0.20-0.35 mm (.0079-.0138 in.)
Oil 0.20-0.70 mm (.0079-.0276 in.)

-Then if they are not correct file them to the size

-Then i need to install the piston rings 120* apart from each other?(just for compression rings); correct?

-Then compress the rings in a ring compressor and tap 2 pistons into block

-Then go under neath and have pistons lowered all the way to bottom of bore and flip motor, then install bearings and cap with plastigauge(though i shouldent have to i had rods recondition and crank polished)

then the same for the others?

I dont have a computer that can download a manual im using my GF phone with the internet and its not the greatest...

After that what should be installed oil pump and BSEK?

Also is there a seal im supposed to put in when i install crank shaft (at flywheel end or pulley end) and rods or are there no seals/gaskets until that point?

rdomeck

The first thing you need is to get up to the parts store and purchase a book on you car. You will find all the specs in it. You can not put an engine together with knowing the tolerances and torque specs. Ask again once you have a book in front of you!

LIV4PSI

Building an engine with no manual just seems silly.

yeti

trust me i know i google every torque spec, and read manuals when i can just found out the pistons my friend sold me are .75 over and dont fit in my block..so dont exactly have money for new pistons and am gonna re use the old ones..

i appreciate all the help and I KNOW how hard it is to build a engine without a book

rdomeck

GO BUY A BOOK! Or get one from the library! Just get a book in front of you.

yeti

i went to my college and used their internet/ printer

i had a manual emailed to me so i printed all 160 pages of it lets just say they wernt the happiest

i have amanual now thanks everyone

rdomeck

Ok... Now install the rings 120 degree's apart. Oil ring isn't as critical, but I have always made sure to do it that way and have never had a problem. Get two pistons in at the top of the bore, making sure that the crank is rotated around so the rod bolt's do not hit the crank. I.E. piston at TDC and crank at BDC! Flip it over and either bring the piston down the bore or rotate the crank up to meet the rod.

Plastigauge is a good idea even if you have had the rods resized and the crank polished. Unless you have had many engines machined by the same shop and really trust them, you should always measure. Even then I have always measured. It's a small step to make sure that everything is right. Find the tolerance page in your book and if it gives you a number make sure that it is with in tolerance!

yeti

Pistons that I had installed on my rods are 0.75 over and don't fit my block so I pulled some pistons from a junkyard motor they have a few nicks on them but not horrible.

I'll be having those hanged on my rods tommarow unless I can find some new or good 1g pistons

yeti

Junk yard pistons are good to go along with rods they are on, where casn I find std piston rings? Kragen? Other than online would anybody carry these

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can find them almost anywhere. I have bought NPR rings from ebay or you can get rings from Parts Dinosaur as well.

rdomeck

Ring's are the one thing that you should not go budget on. I would run with Mitsu or call one of the better piston places! Think of it this way, if they fail you will be pulling your motor and doing a rebuild. Most of us are not running stock boost and the rings are one of the first things to fail when there is a problem. Best bet is to buy some Mitsu ones!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts