The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 Piece cross member

VR_IV_MR

Just came across this on Ecmlink forum... I was wondering if anyone here is using it.

I am also curious of why he says its for manual transmissions only. I have plans to convert 591 to automatic eventually, so I don't think I will purchase it, but will keep it in mind maybe I can have someone make one one day for an auto car.

click

fuel

to me it looks quite flimsy. I would be worried about the lower control arm mount portion of the subframe warping due to lack of sufficient bracing. Not really liking the lack of a forward roll stopper engine mount bush either - the vibrations from the engine and the force of the engine moving under accel/de-accel are just going to be bending or vibrating the thin cross bar.

Do you have clearance issues to existing crossmembers?

DynastyLCD

i ended up buying the one piece front cross member, that doesn't include the smaller N/S bars. the factory bars got cut to keep the bracing between the K-member. my reasoning against the 3 piece was that i felt as if the N/S bars on that setup just aren't going to support it enough, but cutting the bars and using the K-member side of it would keep it rigid. my 1g feels great, doesn't feel any different while cornering, still feels pretty solid to me. i opted for the poly mount instead of the solid mount. the weight savings is nice, the bar looks great, leaves more room for IC piping, etc.

fuel - i agree with what you said, that's why i got the one piece, and cut the bars to brace the K-member. now the K-member has most of the rigidity it originally had, and with the poly mount, the bar doesn't want to vibrate apart. its very sturdy. i jack my car up from this bar, and its actually more rigid than the stock one. no bushings to fail where the stock front crossmember would have bushings on either end (crossmember ends are solid)

i also destroy driveline parts like its my job, and this makes taking the trans out a little easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMX5636

Dynasty- Care to post some pics? I've been eying this up, but am also worried about the tubular N/S bars.

mitsuturbo

Quoting DynastyLCD:
i ended up buying the one piece front cross member, that doesn't include the smaller N/S bars. the factory bars got cut to keep the bracing between the K-member. my reasoning against the 3 piece was that i felt as if the N/S bars on that setup just aren't going to support it enough, but cutting the bars and using the K-member side of it would keep it rigid. my 1g feels great, doesn't feel any different while cornering, still feels pretty solid to me. i opted for the poly mount instead of the solid mount. the weight savings is nice, the bar looks great, leaves more room for IC piping, etc.

fuel - i agree with what you said, that's why i got the one piece, and cut the bars to brace the K-member. now the K-member has most of the rigidity it originally had, and with the poly mount, the bar doesn't want to vibrate apart. its very sturdy. i jack my car up from this bar, and its actually more rigid than the stock one. no bushings to fail where the stock front crossmember would have bushings on either end (crossmember ends are solid)

i also destroy driveline parts like its my job, and this makes taking the trans out a little easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO, this is the best way to do it, short of fabricating a 3 piece setup that has two mount points in the rear, so as to connect to the subframe at BOTH original connecting points. I don't know why the guy that made this didnt think about how the cars are built, and why that area needs to be supported. FFS, the pass side has a gusset with FIVE bolts holding it together. It's not just "there" for no reason. Apparently this yay-hoo thought it would just be fine to delete that support on the driver side.

It's not a good idea. Period.

Leave the crossmembers that run under the engine out, and drive your car for a week.... then try and put the driver side one back in without using a prybar. Believe me, it doesn't work out so well. My friend's beater DSM had it left out for a while. It was a total bitch to get it put back in.

DynastyLCD

Quoting EMX5636:
Dynasty- Care to post some pics? I've been eying this up, but am also worried about the tubular N/S bars.

sure. ill snap some next time i put my car up.

one of the best free mods i ever did, was take that 5 bolt gusset out, and cut away the lip so i don't have to take it off to get the trans out anymore.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned