The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ready to upgrade..

Ok so I just read the sticky on the harness for 2g 3g evo adapter. I also have found an evo III turbo and manifold. Im probably going to get it. My question is, since my car has the stock MAF (big ugly thing inside the can inside the air filter) what is needed to upgrade to one of these? Do I need a 2g/3g/evo MAF to install the Turbo? Custom intake? I guess what Im trying to say is, If I put this turbo on my car, what all will I need to use it effectivly? How about a parts breakdown for 350/400 hp?

Thanks

MellowVR4

To use the 2g maf u need the intake pipe, the plug in play harness, either a safc, keydiver chip or link. Im sure you can run the 450cc, i think thats pretty much everything to run a 2g maf.

Terry Posten

Get a 3G MAS, it is round and will fit into the stock intake pipe.

You will also need to socket the ECU and get a custom chip to compensate for the new MAS. While your at it, get at least 550cc injectors (I would get 750cc) and have the chip made for those too.

Then get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 255 in tank Walbro fuel pump, manual boost controller, vac/boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and the list will never stop...

Can you do all that? Im pulling my ecu out this weekend and sending it to you monday...

Terry Posten

I can socket it for you so you can change the chip when your ready.

Adds $15 to the $35 already quoted.

how do i go about changing the chip? Where do i get a chip burner?I know Im a noob.. If this was a 60's muscle car, Id be where your at help wise.. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Terry Posten

After it is socketed, the old chip will be re-installed, when you have a custom chip made, simply open the cover, pop the old chip out and insert the new chip in the same place making sure it is in the right direction.

The are some members around here that can make you a chip, but I don't know who they are off the top of my head.

jmorri15

I would do some reading into speed density it removes a lot of the junk under the hood and in the intake path. My galant was running sd with an HKS VPC but i just switched it out for linkv3lite

mikus

get the socketing, start reading, pretty much do what Terry lists.

an E16G with supporting air, fuel and chip is very hard to beat on a cost to fun ratio, and easy. Put that together first then add intercooler.

"The best mod is maintenance" post in 3,2,1....

mitsuturbo

Quoting GVRBound:
Ok so I just read the sticky on the harness for 2g 3g evo adapter. I also have found an evo III turbo and manifold. Im probably going to get it. My question is, since my car has the stock MAF (big ugly thing inside the can inside the air filter) what is needed to upgrade to one of these? Do I need a 2g/3g/evo MAF to install the Turbo? Custom intake? I guess what Im trying to say is, If I put this turbo on my car, what all will I need to use it effectivly? How about a parts breakdown for 350/400 hp?

Thanks

I think 350-400whp is a bit of a lofty goal on an evo3 turbo. Sure, people HAVE MADE well over 400whp on them, but it's not common, and it's certainly NOT easy. I'd expect something more in the neighborhood of 300, realistically.

You'll definitely need the following to get started:

full 3" exhaust
cams
FMIC
255lph or larger Fuel pump
AFPR
Injectors (probably 750cc or larger)
Tuning/Management system
boost controller
clutch
BOV recommended, since the stockers usually leak at anything over about 17psi.

edit: of course, if you're setting up for E85 and some serious tuning/management, that goal will be a lot easier to attain ...i don't really see it as likely on pump gas, though.

Last edited:

Parts sourcing is about to begin... Anybody got any of this for sale??? get at me...

GVR47111K

Thread delivers. Really good info for us n00bs here.

Brunoboy

I PM'd you again, I have a lot of things that may peak your interest. and im working on your shipping quote.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned