The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Last time I drove my car it did this...

Vroom, duh duh duh.. I had to floor it to keep it alive with no throttle response, (no change in revs as it was floored) and then it came back alive and drove fine. Anybody know whats going on? Any ideas? The battery is dead but coming back here and trolling for a few days has me wanting to get it going. New battery is being installed this afternoon.. then the caps are getting replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Terry Posten

That could be the MAS dieing or the wiring losing connection.

Check to see if the large square plug on the passenger side frame rail is fully seated and the wiring is good and not wet.

The plug is basically right below where the stock air filter box Normaly sits.

I pmed you last night about the caps. Its a totally stock car. And when I say stock I mean STOCK.. This plug Im looking for is underneath the factory airbox? Pic? im messing with it tonight!!!

ps.. What is a MAS? is it the Mass airflow sensor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

MAS is the mass air meter. Follow the MAS plug down to the next large plug, hat is the one I am referring to. It hates water, it will go to limp mode if it gets wet.

Remove the air can and make sure the wiring is not chaffing against stuff and plugs are clean, dry, and holding tight.

mikus

If this is truly a bone stock car where electrical connectors haven't been touched...ever ---- I would get a can of electrical cleaner and some dielectric grease, and go through each and every electrical connector under teh hood. Just shoot them clean, give the connector/wires a quick visual inspection, and do a dab of the grease where it makes sense. Look at grounds too, clean 'em up if needed.

Do them one at a time and you can't forget any. It sounds tedious but really it shouldn't take more than 20+30min, and you can feel good afterwords that you know where that all stands. It will eliminate some diagnoses for this, and future problems.

Brother, you have no idea how stock this car is! Ill do that while its down.. Good lookin out..

AWDPower

If the car was cutting out, and your battery was dead, check the alternator. If voltage drops real low, the ecu will cut in and out. You won't make it very far after that point though.

jmorri15

this happened to me and it was the throttle postion sensor, there was oil all over the connector. Cleaned it off and the problem went away

I put a fresh battery in it last night. It went dead from sitting. Ill check the tps sensor plug tonight when i get off. Im not going to dirve it far without the socket caps being replaced. ecu is getting pulled this wkend..

Old battery was made in 2001, and previous owner had a tender on it. It sat for seven months before I fired it up/drove it last night... That may be the case, but I highly doubt it. Ill check it in a week and see if its discharged any.. parasitic draw type.. Ill also check the charging system to make sure its functioning correctly.

donkeylips

I'm having similar symptoms and still haven't figured it out. Could be lots of things. You don't have any CELs? Usually a good way to try to diagnose this is to datalog somehow and see what your ECU sees from various sensors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned