The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Diff Cover on 3 bolt rear says Viscous limited slip...is that the norm?

For all of the trouble I am having getting my freaking rear diff cover off (another thread in the technical section), I noticed that sticker on the diff cover. I know it's not a 4 bolt but was wondering if that was the standard option.

Thank you

SouthCaliVR4

Not the norm but some dsm's came with a three bolt viscous lsd. your's may have been swapped. if you rotate one wheel (in nutral) & the other side rotates the same way, it's an lsd. If it rotates the oposite it's an open & someone swapped the cover.

fuel

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Not the norm but some dsm's came with a three bolt viscous lsd. your's may have been swapped. if you rotate one wheel (in nutral) & the other side rotates the same way, it's an lsd. If it rotates the oposite it's an open & someone swapped the cover.

Be aware that depending how warn the viscous coupling is - a viscous can act like an open diff when you spin the wheels jacked in the air, but once you start spinning them some more and the viscous fluid heats up and binds the plates together it will act like an LSD. Mine is a viscous 4-bolt 4WS rear but acts like an open because it's quite worn.

fuel

yeah I thought mine had no LSD despite the LSD sticker and confirmation from dealer mine had LSD option, pulled diff cover plate off to find it was indeed viscous LSD. Spun wheels some more and finally they started locking up - took like forever though. Will be going to evo plate LSD eventually, and figure out a way to retain the 4WS pump (probably driven off an electric motor and speed controller).

citymunky

I have a 3 bolt LSD, the label says B1G

I believe mind says B17...took the letters off when cleaning it...but can still see where it says Viscous LSD.

Rats, I just had the diff cover off, wouldn't know what to look for...will just do your test!

Quoting fuel:
yeah I thought mine had no LSD despite the LSD sticker and confirmation from dealer mine had LSD option, pulled diff cover plate off to find it was indeed viscous LSD. Spun wheels some more and finally they started locking up - took like forever though. Will be going to evo plate LSD eventually, and figure out a way to retain the 4WS pump (probably driven off an electric motor and speed controller).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned