The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What to look for when buying a gvr4?

After a couple months of looking for gvr4 I think I finally found the one I want. I'm going to go check it out in a couple days and I was just wondering if anybody has some advise on what I should look for. Never owned one before so I don't know much about them. What are some common problems? It's a 92 and it's no. 5, so I thought that was pretty cool. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Read the "new/prospective owners" sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow, I feel like a dummy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Didn't even see that lol. Thanks!

DynastyLCD

one important thing that isn't posted in broxma's very well thought-out and informative thread; having a fuel tank and a fuel sending unit in the car, is worth so much more than you'll ever realize...

3000 of these things (give or take) came to the states.... not too many gas tanks and sending units going around still.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check that out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vr4junkie

I would look at the Timing belt and ask when it was Changed check the intercooler lines see if there is any cracks in them. Drive the car in a Circle and make sure axles are good if there bad you'll hear some kind of clacking noise also check the boots on the axles make sure there not riped or cracked Little things like that you have to point out the seller cause if you buy the car your going to have to replace it sooner or later. Rent a Compression Tester and check compression on all 4cyl its free to rent just leave a deposit and you get it back once you bring it back your local autoparts store should have one.And the other Basics Check for leaks and get up and underneath the car check out the suspension and chassis its a 20 Year old High Performance car lets face it some of us have lead foots and like to go fast around corners some of theses cars have been abused and make sure its not a hack job seen plenty of thoses well not vr4s but just be on the look out.

Awesome. You guys are great. It does have an fmic but I'll still check all the lines and pipes. He says he has a dsmlink ecu for an extra 300. Is it worth it?

Vr4junkie

Ok thought it was stock well in that case check for boost leaks ...300 sounds about right from the ones I seen for sale but not too sure but some one with more experience will let you know.

ronnycordova

Mitsubishi in general seems to have an issue with sending units on their older cars, I ended up rebuilding the one for my Montero since there are no after market ones and a new one is over $600. At least most of the parts are going to be interchangeable with most other 4g63 platforms but you always have those fluke parts.

Cool I will check that out too. I'm going tomorrow to look at it, so I will let you guys know if I buy her or not. I can't wait!

boosted_85

#5 has been passed around like a cheap Whore. The last time I really care for the car it had close to 10 po in 4 yrs.

This car is from the midwest all of its life so its going to have some rust on the bottom of the doors, leading-edge of hood and trunk. Also rust behind rear dog legs because this cars have really small wheel wheels.

JCorbo25

Quick google search:

#5/1000 rolling shell sold 5/28/11 $2,800 (asking price)
click

#5/1000 complete car sold in 2009, $6,000 (asking price)
click

Hmm. He's asking 3k for it. Is it even worth it? I am willing to put some money into it. I want one in the worst way and I don't find too many up in WI too often. But I don't want to buy it if you guys think it's junk.

boosted_85

there is nothing wrong with the car, the last time i've seen the car it was rock solid (3yrs ago). The problem was that every owner after my friend traded the car all over the place through the honda crowd and lots of parts got sold and traded to fix odd and ends.

Alright thanks so much guys! I have a lot to think about and i will let you guys know if i buy it. Thanks again!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned