The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbocharging a N/A 4G63 1G Galant FWD

A friend of mine recently bought a 1993 Mitsubishi Galant ZX E33A, it is a South American Spec, a mix of AMG parts and regular ones, might look weird to some of you, I'm posting some pictures for you to look it.
zxdaniel1.jpg

zxdaniel2.jpg

well, I had one similar to that in the past, with the same engine and I've turbocharged it but never did changes to the EFI and between 2800 and 3100 rpms there was a small failure if pushing all the gas pedal but over 3100 to 7000 rpms it worked ok up to 10 psi of boost and 91 octane fuel.

Now and since the owner of that car wants to turbocharge it but using oem parts, I offered to him parts from my Galant VR-4 and I would upgrade mine with 2G parts such MAF, turbo manifold and JDM 240 hps ECU and 550 cc injectors.

Well I know there are many different parts between the 4G63 N/A and the 4G63T engines, like the oxygen and knock sensors as the N/A doesn't have them but the swap is possible.
My first inquiry to you is about pistons. I know the rods are different. Can I use turbo pistons with those rods? would they fit those rods? Can I find N/A pistons with 8:5:1 compression rate?

All your comments and help are welcome, this is a project to be made in few months but I need to know what should be done by then.

maxash0775

Car does not look weird, looks awesome. I am no expert, bit wouldn't be easier (and cheaper) to drop in a 4g63 and get a turbo ecu. I wen thru this when I wanted to turbo my 95 eclipse rs (non turbo). Like i said, I will defer to the experts. Good luck

Last edited:

The engine swap would be the easiest way to do so, however, unfortunately here in my country in South America, not only there are no 4G63T used engines available, but also it is forbidden to import used engines and moreover in the car's papers the number on the engine block must be the same than in the registration or the car would be captured by the police if they get noticed.

That's why we should swap only some internals and parts.

Terry Posten

Can you have someone from the states send you a crank, rods, and pistons from a T motor and you just swap the internals out?

The only thing you are going to be without is the oil squirters.

123abc

As far as I know, the only internal differences are pistons, absence of oil squirters and a knock sensor, and a different set of cams. Not sure on if the valve springs and retainers are the same.

Quoting gramkrakr89:
Is it illegal to import engine parts?

Yes, it is legal to import used parts but not a complete engine

There's a problem, we just found out that Galant has early 7 Bolt 4G63 engine. What's the hp limit of 2G engine before it crank walking?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned