The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does a 1g catback fit?

I have been searching the forum for a bit and the answers are all over the place. I want to know if it will bolt right up and fit? I read that you need to make it longer, I read that it does fit, and I read that it is angled different.

What is the reality? My 2.5 inch Buschur just broke at the weld and ripped right of at the tip. Any welder I have ever been too always charges me an arm and a leg and I won't go for that when there are other alternatives.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

gtluke

They don't just bolt right up, but I have a talon exhaust on my galant. You have the move the exhaust hangers. Depending on the exhaust, sometimes the muffler sits all screwy.
My cat-back is a VRS exhaust "kit", meaning it was built without a muffler, and I added my own 18" dynomax to it, which just barely fits.

123abc

I had to make mine work at the time. We doubled up some rubber hangers, and added a short section at the rear with a ghetto worm clamp to help hold the exhaust. Worked for about a week, then the worm clamp broke. Luckily it broke on my way in to fix it. lol

spooln4fun

^ have heard this also.

524of1000

I used to run this set up. You need a 2g AWD Down pipe, a test pipe or Cat and the 1g AWD Cat back. I *believe* the test pipe has to be 12" or so, but it may be 18". You WILL need to modify the hangers, and even then it will probably rub or bang against something. I honestly recommend getting a GVR4 specific or custom exhaust done.

Brunoboy

my turbo back consist of a 2g awd downpipe, chopped at the flange to accomodate a vband to a all flow cat, mated by vband to a custom catback. from what i know a 2g awd dp will eliminate the cat all together and be long enough to bolt straight to a 1g awd catback to fit.

524of1000

It won't. You would still have a 12-18" gap. I think it was 12", but that was years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned