The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

B&M Oil Cooler Mounting

WaRrIoRs16

Hey I'm trying to figure out where to put my oil cooler at. The core measures 11"x8.25". I'm trying to put it between my intercooler and my unmounted scirocco radiator. My concern is that at that location it's going to harm airflow through the intercooler because of how the oil cooler is designed. If I put it there, there would not be much space between the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator. Main issue I'm seeing is that the B&M oil cooler's fins aren't straight through, the air has passages in two different directions, approximately 45* angles off of straight through.

Also, 4"x8.25"(just over 1/3 of surface area) of the cooler would not get straight air due to the bumper.

Will this location work? Any advice is appreciated. At this point, this seems like the only location I can use.

That is a huge core for an oil cooler. The fact that 1/3 of that would be covered by the bumper is not at all a concern.

Adorsey

Just remember that you will need to fill the engine up with more oil now, since the cooler is above the oil pan and it will drain back down in. Decent spot though.

WaRrIoRs16

Alright sounds good. Thank for the help, I'll leave it there then.

Yeah I haven't reached the point of putting oil in yet, but it hadn't crossed my mind about needing more oil. So can I fill it just over the fill marker on the dipstick, then start it up and let it get up to operating temps and then check the oil by the dipstick? From what I have read, the oil cooler is not utilized until a certain threshold temperature in the oil filter housing is reached, meaning the oil would need to heat up before I get an accurate measurement on the dipstick correct?

Adorsey

Something with the spring in the OFH I think does what youre talking about.
I also remember that most ppl port the hole that the spring blocks after a balance shaft removal process, to releave for the extra oil pressure gained from blocking the oil holes in the balance shafts spot.

Id say yeah your right let it get up to temp and check if you filled it up correctly

LIV4PSI

I don't know if the stock oil filter housing is this way but, most aftermarket sandwich plates for oil coolers come with a thermostat inside. It doesn't open until the oil reaches a certain temp. It would make sense for Mitsubishi to do something similar.

WaRrIoRs16

Yes the stock 90 Oil filter housing does have that setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned