The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cam angle sensor???

My galant starts when engine is cold will run till I turn it off. But sputters and wont stay running if I try to start it when it is hot

turbowop

Sounds like the issue I've been having lately with 503. I still haven't figured it out, even after tons of troubleshooting.

Usually, if it's the ECU coolant temp sensor, it will barely start at all, even when cold. I've logged mine and that sensor is fine.

Galantvr4559

I had a similar problem with my talon long ago and and my car would idle and drive fine until it got to temp and then it would shut off and wouldnt start and spit and sputter. I told 1295 I thought it could be cam angle sensor but I am no expert still learing dsm's and gvr4's. Anyone got any thoughts???

Galantvr4559

justin keyed me into something else it could be. Fuel pump. If it is going out it could cause these problems

broxma

Do you have a wideband which would tell you if it is dying due to lean stall, which it probably is?

Id bother with the fuel system, in particular the pump and factory FPR. To give you an idea of what will happen with a faulty FPR I'll tell you what happened with my wife's car.

She has a 2001 Beetle Turbo S which I replaced the factory FPR with a 3 bar so it could run a Revo flash. The diaphragm internally wore out over the course of about two years and was shooting fuel back through the vacuum line into the intake manifold, unbeknownst to me. Up until the complete failure of the FPR, the car had trouble starting when hot. Upon total failure, the car would not run at all and died on her way to work. I has long suspected the FPR to be an issue, pulled the vacuum line off and told her to crank the car. Gas came out the vacuum nipple full pressure and soaked the engine bay.

I don't know of many FPR failures such as the one the wife had, but this was with an OEM Bosch FPR after just a few years. Certainly faulty manufacture, but still, very odd.

/brox

Ok thanks i will check the fpr out also. Does anyone think a bad alternator could be to blame,or is it safe to assume if it has the juice to crank and start it should be able to idle

Galantvr4559

91galant1295 is coming over tonight so we can do some diag. I have heard everything from fuel pump to cas to coil packs, so when he gets here were gomna try to figure it out

toybreaker

iconoclast
Good lookin out, Bryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diego

Colorado family... gotta love the love that is in this state... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Galantvr4559

so I checked fpr and that isnt it. we still need to check out the ecu real quick before we take out old coils and plugs some coils I have up to see if its the problem. Diego had the same problem in a 1g gsx and it ended up being a bad coil pack. Since he is gonna replace the fuel pump im not gonna bother.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned