The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilding oil pump

yeti

I have about 3 full oil pumps with gears what is needed to rebuild just straight cut gears and a new oil pump case?

Terrance362

Nothing, Just disassemble the oil pump housing and remove old gears and replace with the new straight cut gears. I would use the balance shaft kit while in there.

BluFalcon

Don't you have to measure the clearance between the gears and the ID of the gear cavity in the front case as well?

yeti

Thats what i was thinking because the other gears push against the case at high rpm's.
Then agian the straight cut gears dont push against the case at all, so if anything on a worn case it would just be more room??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BluFalcon

Too much clearance between the gears and wall of the cavity will affect the efficiency of the pump no matter what gears you use.

joggle

From the Mitsu 90-92 4g6x engine overhaul manual:
Side clearance -
Drive gear (.0031" to .0055")
Driven gear (.0024" to .0047")

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts