The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel cut, no rev WITH VIDEO!!!!!

So I thought my ECU was the issue. I took it out and looked at it and it didnt smell and it didnt have any acid markings and the whole thing looked really really clean.
I am thinking I could have a boost leak but I am not sure if there is a different issue. My next thing to do is test for a boost leak but I shot a video of what happens right now.
Under heavy throttle it will cut out at about 3k RPMs, my orinal boost gauge skyrockets and my Autometer gauge that I installed never makes it above negative PSI...
If I bring the RPMs up slowly it does the same thing at about 5k.

Quoting Captn:
Is this all at a stand still or while driving too?

The video was shot with the car in neutral but it does the same thing but worse if I am driving. Any load whatsoever at that point the car just cuts fuel and it bucks like crazy. I can rev it by hand under the hood and watch my fuel pressure plummet at heavy throttle... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quoting yeti:
is that a CEL aND DO A boost leak test

I have been having trouble pulling the code. We have a 1200 dollar snap-on scanner at work that doesnt have the right attachment to power the ECU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

marvinmadman

Get a palm to do the cel. They are cheap now. But it sounds like when my old car jumped timing a tooth. Just check that to be sure.

Last edited:

Quoting ihickok0403:
Quoting Captn:
Is this all at a stand still or while driving too?

The video was shot with the car in neutral but it does the same thing but worse if I am driving. Any load whatsoever at that point the car just cuts fuel and it bucks like crazy. I can rev it by hand under the hood and watch my fuel pressure plummet at heavy throttle... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is significant. First thing to do is check for blockage through the fuel filter. Then check voltage to the pump. Then get back to us.

marvinmadman

Damn, how did I miss that. That is a major problem.

Fuel pump tested 11.4 and the fuel filter is fine. Still hvent been able to pull the CEL

Lukefraizer

Try looking for a kink in the fuel lines. Maybe you pinched it while lifting it or something silly like that.

AuSpecVr4

Are you still running a MAF? my vr4 did this when my RED wire on the MAF was loose, would not boost, or check the CAS sensor and wiring, it sounds identical to what mine used to do, also i would check your timing like others have mention. Hope that helps.

I am still running a MAF actually...and where the car is a 91 and the motor is a 90 its probably even more sensitive than normal also right? I will check that out, that makes tons of sense...Thank you all for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned