The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear ratio Q

hey guys. I was poking around on the vfaq gear ratio page considering the options/rammifications of swapping out my Ggsx stuff for dsm, I need a little help wit the terminology... what exactly are they referring to by the "primary/secondary (gear toothcount)"

click

I was doing all the speed calculations on a simple calculator I found during my vw days located at click

thanks for the help

gramkrakr89

Quoting VFAQ:

The "Primary" ratio is the Intermediate Shaft driving the Center Diff on an AWD or the Output Shaft on a FWD.

The "Secondary" ratio is the Output Shaft driving the Ring Gear on the Front Diff - the actual ratio of the axle shaft rotations compared to the tranny internals.

This was right below all of the ratio tables, pretty straight-forward.

Since the gears have to mesh tooth-for-tooth, counting the gear teeth and dividing #input/#output gives you the gear ratio

Quoting VFAQ:

Primary 1.208
(gear toothcount) (29/24)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned