The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery relocation / breaker wiring question

moduleunknown

So I'm in the process of moving my battery to the trunk (to free up room for a 2G intake), and I'm looking at the 150A breaker I bought to put in back by the box/battery and I notice that one side is labeled "IN", and the other "OUT".

Before I make a mistake, I figured I'd ask, "does it matter?". From the battery, do I run from the + to the IN (or OUT) on the breaker? I'd guess IN, but then is it really directional? If so, how does the battery charge? ...that's what I started thinking and wondering if it goes the other way (or if it even matters).

Brunoboy

pics of the breaker?

rdomeck

I'm curious if you plan to run this in between the battery and the starter? Starters draw more current than that and you will blow it when you go to start your car! You could relay the circuit breaker to be connected unless your starter is engaged! Thought about doing this to my car just to protect the wire from shorting out and catching my car on fire....I have had this happen to a customers Porsche once! It wasn't a good day, but luckily wasn't my fault.

moduleunknown

Yes, the breaker will be placed between the battery and the starter.

I am also aware that the starter can draw more current than that.

However, in my research I've found that many people have had no issues with this setup. I can only try it and find out, and if it's a problem i'll correct it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rdomeck

I really think that if no people have had issues with that breaker, then that breaker isn't doing anything. Starters draw 200-300 amps on most cars in general conditions! You could easily use a breaker like that (that works) and run a different wire for your power. The relay would only make your starter wire hot when the starter trigger wire is hot! Just my thoughts on it.........

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You have to have the breaker at the battery end, or it doesn't protect the system from the cable grounding out on the body along the path.

I have mine set up this way, and I have in fact tripped mine starting the car on a really cold day. I used a re-settable one, and typically has only happened the first crank.

moduleunknown

Well this seems to have branched off from my original question....

I have since answered my own question, wired everything up, and tested the car. The starter did not trip the breaker - I'm not saying it can't or won't under certain conditions, but just starting the car, there are no issues. I've also verified that the battery is charging as I'm getting 14.6V back there while running - which was my original concern.

Carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned