The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

installing hyundai valve cover

I'm sure this has been covered and I apologize in advance for asking such a question, but I can't find any for sure info. And I figure it would be nice to have all the useful info in one thread; with an easy to search title.

I just picked up a hyundai valve cover. I don't plan to use studs, nor do I think they're required? There are washers on the cover:

Do I need to have some washers on these bolts:

What size bolts should I use? What should I torque them to?

Should I use the mitsu or the hyundai gasket? What year?

Do I use any rtv/adhesive?

Last edited by a moderator:

maroonmetallic

RTV should not be needed.

Hyundai used both a stud hardware kit & a bolt hardware kit.
The bolts are actually shouldered to fit in the oversized hole.

For a gasket you are to use the Hyundai one.

I would personally use either the studs or the bolts Hyundai uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

PreskitVR4

You will also need to clearance the v/c for the cas, I had access to a mill, but others here have done it with a sanding disc.
Edit: those are sealing washers to allow for the OE shouldered bolts to pass through the v/c. Leaks a plenty if you don't use those. If you get your new gasket from dealer, it will def come with those. If you need a Hyundai VIN, I have one, since dealership parts guys can't seem to do ANYTHING without one.....

Last edited:

Thanks guys! I imagine the gasket will come with half moons for the cas too? I'll take a part number!

mountaineerjeff

I just used washers and allen head bolts from the hardware store.

Lukefraizer

I think the even better question is how in the heck does everyone make these not leak?! I always get a leak! I have put it on 3 times now!

spooln4fun

Here is a very helpful link from tuners. It lists both the stud kit and bolt kit along with factory part numbers for them as well as gaskets. DSMtuners Hyundai valve cover info
attachment.php

Last edited:

PreskitVR4

Just a touch, didn't even get into the gasket retaining groove. The clearance is needed up top as the valve cover is bulbous and the stocker is relatively flat.

fuel

they look a little bit more modern.

And from my understanding they are less prone to cracking.

Gasket and hardware should be here Friday, Thanks all!

fuel

I've never had a Mitsu VC crack on me, I've only seen it happen once when someone decides to tighten up the bolts super tight.

I'm not catching on the cas, It's catching on the bottom side (side nearest the bumper). I can't see what it's catching on though. Any ideas?

Got it, tabs (if you will) were bent.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

There used since there less prone to cracking, a little thicker, use shouldered hardware and have reinforcement ribs on the backside. If you ever get a cop plate the bolt holes are a tad bit closer together which means the cop plate has to have the 4 holes elongated and the edges trimmed just a hair.

Oh thanks for the part numbers by the way. I need to order bolts for mine since I had a set come up missing thanks to the USPS in Danville PA and I just shaved the DOHC 16 valve off of one in the shop for a friends 1G a few days ago.

Last edited:

spooln4fun

Quoting 1971:
That is some really good info, how do I know which cover I have?

To my understanding they are the same, I would presume the change from studs to bolts was just a manufacturer change. You can use either one you choose. Stud or Bolt, Why the difference in price for the gasket for one or the other is beyond me.

There are (at least) two different covers, as I have both in my garage. The earlier covers that came off of the Elantras were designed to be used with a CAS. The later Sonata versions didn't utilize the CAS, and for whatever reason Hyundai changed the cover in the CAS area. The Sonata cover can be clearanced to clear the CAS pretty easily as mentioned above. From what I can gather, the Elantra versions came with the studs, Sonatas had the bolts, yet the hardware can be swapped between the two with no problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned