The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

octane booster?

MellowVR4

Just wanted to find out what you guys think of octane booster, some people like it, some dont. does it actually work???? just curious. If you guys do like it which brand works the best, i heard the LUCAS stuff works but??

SouthCaliVR4

It works, sort of. you may raise your octane rating but you'll never know how much & it will never be consistent. I would rather tune around any issues & be confident my tune is stable.

147/1000

Waste of money. Get your tune straight and there will be no need for it.

MellowVR4

thats what i kind of figuerd.

JCorbo25

When i accidentally put 87 in the Mazdaspeed3, I added some E85 as octane booster. By my calculations I had 93 octane after, CA gas is 91.

LIV4PSI

Quoting JCorbo25:
When i accidentally put 87 in the Mazdaspeed3, I added some E85 as octane booster. By my calculations I had 93 octane after, CA gas is 91.

Top Gear math, I like it.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

I tried some once, and I also thought it produced a noticeable difference but I was skeptical and thought I was imagining things. Then a few days later the wife asked what I had done to the car. She had that "have you been spending lots of money on your car again?" look on her face and I said "Nothing ... why?" She then replies "Because I can feel it is faster!"

My wife knows nothing about cars. Go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think I used STP or something. It was not cheap but I have often wondered about trying it again to see if it was my imagination or not. Lots of people say just adding toluene has the same effect, you just have to make sure you mix the correct amount.

Last edited:

turbowop

Higher octane levels will do nothing unless a car is tuned for it. If you pour in some octane booster (which really doesn't do much), or toluene, or even some form of race fuel and the car feels more powerful...you probably had a detonation issue and the ECU was retarding timing.

cheekychimp

Feasible!

The JDM Civic Type R has a crazy CR ... 13.5 or something. Maybe the fuel in Hong Kong wasn't good enough.

RedTwo

Remember Japan has 100+ RON? as pump gas, which the Type R is probably factory tuned for. Do they have knock sensors on Type Rs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The ecu could be retarding the timing because of the weak sauce petrol you normally use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

cheekychimp

Yeah, that and I'm a cheapskate so I only ever fed it the cheap stuff anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif It's been in retirement since I got the VR4 running. Maybe I should put a tankful of the good stuff in it with a couple of bottles of octane booster and go clean out the valves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

beaner

click

I think I'm going to run a toluene mix next year. From what I've been reading no one seems to bother with much over 30%. I'll just do a 2:1 ratio with 93. Should be somewhere around 100 octane. Only downer that I can see is having to take a few gallons of it with you every time you 'fill up'.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned