The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

spark plug gap

Hi:

I'm new to this site. I'm going to change the spark plugs in my stock 1992 VR-4. Can anyone tell me the gap that i should set for the plugs. Thanks.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. Any suggestions for spark plug wires and an internet source?

cheekychimp

Since we are on the subject, is there any way to calculate spark plug gap on a modified vehicle other than simply making runs and altering it if you get misfires?

DR1665

Solid vendors regularly mentioned 'round these parts:
+ TunersNation
+ JNZtuning
+ JB Autosports

You can find them via the Google. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally, I tend to just get plug wires at Autozone. I get the Bosch ones with the lifetime warranty. Then, when/if I run into ignition problems which might be the wires, I simply take the wires back to Autozone for a new pair. Quality is perfectly acceptable for a mostly stock car imo. I don't see the benefits of premium plug wires on a stock car being worth the premiums paid for them.

YMMV

Xcelerate

Gaps varies on every setup, I've been tuning high boosted cars and I find it better to gap it small. I'd go .022, and go with bpr8es. It's conservative and to tell u the truth u will never feel the diff between hotter and colder plugs or bigger and smaller gaps. Colder plugs and smaller gap will run ur car smoother low or high boost.

GVR-4

Kingsbourne wires are nice and relatively inexpensive, a least they used to be.

spooln4fun

I also run the autozone brand of wires and have no complaints but my car is stock also. Another vendor to look at is Street Tuned Motorsports(STM) there located out of NY. STM's page for ignition
I will say to stay away from the magma core wires. My self and another friend have not had very good luck with these wires in the past. We would seem to run into issues with the plugs not getting signal from the coil pack. Another method you could run is a coil on plug(or COP) for a cleaner look. A bit more expensive then the ngk wires for 43 and 4 plugs at 2.25 though.

Last edited:

Gombos

ExtremePSI and Summit are good vendors too with pretty fast shipping usually, but for something like plugs, I can usually find the BPR6ES, BPR7ES, and BPR8ES at autozone. That way you don't have to worry about shipping.

raptorWagon

Quoting bluedevil:
Hi:

I'm new to this site. I'm going to change the spark plugs in my stock 1992 VR-4. Can anyone tell me the gap that i should set for the plugs. Thanks.

Recommend you invest in the FSMs for these cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mn92gvr4

I know I'm dragging up an old post here. My question is when it all boils down which is a better plug to run in our cars. The ngk bpr6es, ngk bpr7es(slightly cooler) or the ngk br7es(non projected tip)

coyotes

I have 8s in my car right now since its mostly stock and on stock boost. Once its got more mods and fuel I will run a colder plug. My gap is set at .28

diambo4life

For a stock car you should run NGK BPR6ES and stock gap. Run NGK wires. They are relatively cheap ($39 from ExtremePSI) considering the quality. I run NGK BR8ES in my GVR4 with a 0.018" gap. Ran the same in my old Talon. This is with the stock coilpack.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned