The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which is better re gauges, mechanical or electrical?

So Santa has informed me that he is ready to place an order with his elves for some items that I asked for but i need to be clear on some details. I asked for some gauges so I can put my radio and gauge set up back together.

I'm looking for a fuel pressure gauge and a water temp gauge.

As for the fp gauge, I know if I get a mechanical I will need an isolator so no fuel comes into the cabin. The electrical autometer gauge is 233 dollars. The mechanical is 62 dollars plus 110 dollars for the isolator. So the mechanical would end up being cheaper but the isolator is kind of obnoxious IMO. I just want a clean install. Which is better? Is one more accurate than the other?

As for water temp, the mechanical and electrical are only about 20 bucks difference in price so I'm not concerned about that. Again though, why pick one over the other?

My goal is safety and not getting hassled by any safety reg/tech if I ever go to the track.

Here's the gauges I'm looking at:

Mechanical:

click

click

click

Electrical:

click

click

Thanks

turbowop

I would get mechanical if I were you. The gov't might be able to track the electrical ones unless you cover them with the extra tinfoil from your hat.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

mikus

I like electrical where it's an option, I don't like running anything but wires inside.

For fuel pressure consider a mechanical inline with the regulator, cost: ~$35 including AN adapters & gauge. Sure it's temp senstive and only read if hood is up --- but it's fuel pressure - if it's not set right, you shouldn't be driving too far anyway

turbowop

Seriously, just get electrical gauges. As long as they're a quality brand, they'll work fine and no having to mess with plumbing.

Quoting turbowop:
I would get mechanical if I were you. The gov't might be able to track the electrical ones unless you cover them with the extra tinfoil from your hat.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif the gov can already track me with my license plate and all the cameras they have at what seems like every single intersection in the greater Phoenix area, but thanks for the tip. Oh and not to mention the satellites.

Mikus, I do already have a gauge on the actual regulator. Thanks for the suggestions.

citymunky

I'm with mikus and turbowop on this one. Electrical are easier to deal with, besides you still have to wire mechanical gauges, so whats a extra signal input wire for the electrical gauges going to hurt?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned