The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Nippon pistons

Hi guys .... what do you thing about NIPPON RACING PISTONS from EBAY ...? .. they are not so expensive ....

If you mean the NPR pistons, I didn't like them at all.

I had two sets (8 pistons) of NPR pistons, and the piston pins didn't move "freely" in any of them. Sure, I didn't have to use force for the pins to get through the pistons, but it didn't glide freely through the piston either (could get stuck). Because of that I didn't feel comfortable with using NPR pistons in my engine, so I decided to use the OEM pistons since the pins had a much better feel in the OEM pistons!

So, in my experience the NPR are cheap copied junk of the OEM ones. Some people had great success with NPR pistons, but I personally wouldn't risk a rebuilt engine based on my experience.

People on different boards say that NPR and OEM pistons probably are made by the same company, but the only similarity they share is that they have the same design. They don't have the same coatings on the tops (different colors, don't know if that means anything performance wise) and the lower part of the OEM pistons also have some kind of light grey coating, which the NPR pistons don't have. Also, the piston pins provided with the NPR pistons are thinner than the pins provided with the OEM pistons.

My advice, do it right from the start. Pending on you power goals and/or use of your car I would run OEM pistons from Mitsubishi, or a known forged brand if you aim for higher power goals.

Come on guys, they are really that bad? ....
OEM pistons?.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif give me some internet site to see some OEM pistons,price and anithing ....

Well, I wouldn't buy NPR pistons again since the ones I bought were bad machined for the piston pins. But as I wrote earlier, there are many DSM owners that had great success using NPR pistons!

I suggest that you talk to JNZ Tuning about OEM stuff. They are great people to deal with!

Here is a little talk about NPR pistons and rings NPR talk

gaylantvr4

i have had them in my talon for about 10k now with no issues. I have ran 20-30 psi on my 60-1. They have took some abuse and stood up to it so far.

I really do not know ... I read many mixed reviews on these pistons. Some say they have no problems whit these pistons , others have big problems with them ....

Adorsey

All depend on your goals, good sir. If you plan to have a stock motor and not 400+ hp then you should be able to find many people with good results. Are these stock 6bolt replacment NPR's with stock compression?(7.8:1) Or are they 2g pistons for a Eclipse 7bolt with higher compression?((8.5:1)You need to have machiene work done to stock 1g rods to fit the larger wrist-pin of the 2g pistons..) What do you want to run for boost? You have to spec your rings and PTW clearances, for the amount of boost you want to run.. A quality build can come out of these NPRs if you know what you are looking for.

MellowVR4

I bought a set and they are holding up so far almost 2k miles on them and still goin. not planning on running no more power then 400 but we will see. Got them on 1g rods so the machine shop had to bore the rod for the pin, and had to shave some of the piston for clearance but they work. by the way im running 15 psi on a little big 16g.

Adorsey

^ Just went over 3500 miles the other day with my NPR 2g pistons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif 25+psi almost everyday
For a rebuild thats less than 1000$ it was the perfect chioce for me.

My engine is 6 bolt and goal is not to pass 400 hp and to use 8.5.1 ..... but still looking more info about that "NPR" ...
Can i use 1G rods whit 2G pistons??....

MellowVR4

yes, thats what im running.

haloo again.
I spouk whit one saller and he told me that i cant youse 2g pistons on 1g rods ....Hi say - the wrist pins on the 2G pistons are different in size than the 1G rods.

Last edited by a moderator:

MellowVR4

correct you will have to get a machine shop bore the rods out and also shave the piston slightly so the pistons can fit on the rod. other then that you should be good to go once you get that done to them.

MellowVR4

i mean its not a big deal for the machine shop to do that, just a little extra money you gotta spend. i would do the 2g pistons on 1g rods, like i said i have that set up on mine and its fine.

is not about for money .... i dont know who can do that here where I live ....
About these pistons click 7.8.1 how much boost i can get it ....? ....

Vr4junkie

well you can go with that kit and not machine your rods since its for the same year. But I would go with the 2G Pistons if you got the motor out and planning on doing a rebuild spend the extra money to get the rods machined in the end it will be well worth it. But your way the hell over seas so my best bet would be to use google and look for some shops and ask them if they know of any local machine shops which most likly they would know of one since they do lots of repairs.

MellowVR4

IM sure theirs someone in your home town that can do that type of work, u just gotta search around. or shipp them out to someone that can

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned