The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cold weather dd

Redwood

just wondered aboot riding my car in the colder temps.. what all is good to do and what is not...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You should not have to do anything, except anticipate coldest temperatures between oil changes and appropriate oil grade for said temperatures.
Winter tires, good wiper blades, coolant properly mixed to 50/50 or slightly more on the coolant side of 50/50 (read up on it and you will find out why).
Graphite those door lock cylinders if sticky or notchy, especially if you have the trunk lid cylinder and drive in salty conditions.
Don't setup the car for high boost, if you are all but stock, keep it that way in terms of boost level,
Not sure if there is anything I missed, but a road side safety and repair kit could be ideal.

Oh, if you happen to have any mods that can allow snow to get sucked into the engine, best to re-route to stock like areas/setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Redwood

ok cool just wanted to check.. first time with a turbo car in the winter and didnt want to reck anything. hopefully wont be the dd going into next winter.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Good post, Flyin Eagle

Disconnecting the clutch switch will reduce the wear on the crank thrust bearings at start up.

Don't boost it when the engine/oil is cold, give it a chance to come up to operating temp first.

Don't let it warm up idling in neutral for extended periods. It's hard on the transmission, as it has no oil pump. It's lubricated by the gears moving fluid onto a drip rail. Idling in neutral doesn;t move much, if any fluid. Your input shaft bearings will thank you!

Just drive it away gently untill things are up to temp, then you can enjoy the colder/denser air and let er rip.

Last edited:

Redwood

alright thats how i have been doing it so far have a few friends around here with turbos so i new that one hint. just a lil switch plug to disconnect right near petal??

BrandonEchols

I always warm mine to operating temp before even pulling away from the house, then keep it below 3k for a few mins to get every thing moving smooth before I romp on 'er...

Lofty

Not trying to sound rude so don't take it that way.

I am almost certain the input shaft is rotating in neutral with clutch out.

That being said our gearboxes have oil galleys and I thought that even in neutral, as soon as you fire it up, it is pushing fluid around by the movement of the input shaft.

Unless I'm missing something I figure it's just fine to let it idle in neutral, as you are getting adequate oil flow anyways.
Quoting toybreaker:

Don't let it warm up idling in neutral for extended periods. It's hard on the transmission, as it has no oil pump. It's lubricated by the gears moving fluid onto a drip rail. Idling in neutral doesn;t move much, if any fluid. Your input shaft bearings will thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned