The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator belt smoking/ squaling

yeti

Alt. Belt is smoking and squealing for about a minute after the car starts and randomly if I crank the wheel, the belt is tight and doesent go away when its loose.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Is it loose? Have you checked it for looseness? Are the bolts/nuts tight? Have you checked them?

race_me89

Sometimes if the coating wears off of a pulley it will start squealing, somking is extreme. You should make sure that none of pulleys are frozen aswell

yeti

I've tried it with the belt loose and tight and no difference, all pulleys rotate freely, I'm just gonna tear her down on the 15th

brisvr4

Check the Harmonic balancer.

AuSpecVr4

In extreme but stupid circumstances, just check that the alternator pivot bolt is still in place.. have has this happen to me, the nut came loose and the alternator pivot bolt vibrated loose and came in contact with the belt.

yeti

Harmonic balancer as in balance shaft? Cause I don't have them..

The pivot bolt is there.

Thanks for ideas

Try replacing the belt. Same thing happened to me with an evo. Everything was tight but it made a huge amount of noise, after a few km the engine was covered in rubber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Chucked on a set of belts that weren't new but it hasn't made a sound since.

Quote:
Harmonic balancer as in balance shaft? Cause I don't have them..

The harmonic balancer is the pulley attached to the crank, it's actualy made out of several pieces with rubber seperating the center from the outside, if the rubber has had it then that might be your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
A belt with hardened rubber can squeal. If you have a new belt, install it and tighten to proper tension. Ensure all tensioner hardware is still there and that all pulleys are in line with one another. The remark about the balancer on the crank is spot on because it can walk over sideways as it separates. I just had a squeaking (on/off) belt on a 5.3l V8 in an Impala I changed yesterday, check the crank balancer for this condition. Sometimes and only sometimes pulleys will be so smooth from long term use, that they will squeal and cause issues permanently. What does your car idle at, and is your wire to the power steering pump hooked up?

yeti

Its a new belt my other one snapped. I think I'm going inspect the pulleys on the 15th along with HG and oil pump

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned