The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

changing fuel filter easy or hard?

Just curious....any harder than say a 1g (for those of you that know)?

I hear that a 2g is like 100x as hard. Just preparing before I do this out in the cold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barnes

Buy flare wrenches. It can either be cake, or a nightmare depending if the fittings are stuck. Probably worth using PB blaster or liquid wrench as well.

Last edited:

Thanks for the forewarning. I have some flare wrenches laying around luckily.

boosted_85

make sure you buy a oem or oem style filter. Most aftermarket filters made for us are also made for Toyotas and Nissans which require you to clock the filter so it points the correct way.

Yep, have a 2g OEM filter...will swap the bracket and pop it in. Supposed to be internally the same. Only thing is that it didn't come with the crush washers. I guess that I will have to reuse the old ones.

DR1665

My advice:
1. First thing you do is soak those fittings with PB'laster.
2. Then get your tools ready.
3. Get that lower fitting free - you get more leverage when the filter/bracket is still bolted up.
4. NOW take the upper fitting free.
5. Release the filter from the bracket.

First (only) time I did this, I had the top fitting off and the filter free to access the lower banjo and it was just a springy, twisty, hard-to-reach PITA. Pretty much bolted it all back together and took two wrenches to it "blind."

Barnes

Driggs, I'm a bit confused by your post. I'm assuming it was just a slip that you wrote 'Lower banjo'. Also, you almost make it sounds like you don't use a back-up wrench when you take the fittings off. For the bottom you need a 14 or 17mm (can't remember) open end wrench and then your 10mm flare wrench (again, I think 10mm). You use the open end bigger wrench on the large 'nut' that is welded to the bottom of the filter, then use the flare on the flare nut on the fuel line. If you position them close enough together, you can just squeeze the two wrenches towards each other. It's very easy. The hard part comes in if you round the flare nut. Then your life goes to hell. You can do something similar for the top banjo. Again use the larger open end wrench on the filter 'nut' to keep it from rotating. It is generally not effective to rely on the fuel filter bracket to hold the whole thing firm enough to remove the lines. The filter is held on by rubber isolators so the entire assembly is really floppy.

DR1665

Doh. Yeah. I got my bits mixed up. You are correct. That's the way I ended up having to do it. (After I'd removed the top fitting, filter, and bracket - and pretty much re-installing everything so I could get a stable bite on the bottom end.)

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned