The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Jay's alternator relocation kit

Lukefraizer

I was wondering if anyone had done an alternator relocation kit and a how to on here. I have searched with google and on the forums with no success on finding a solution to my problem. Any help would be amazing!

Luke

WaRrIoRs16

I ordered the kit, it should be here Monday. I selected the option for a saturn alternator though because I have a new 200amp saturn alternator that I'm going to put in with it. I don't plan on starting the install(and removal of a/c) until around Christmas though due to finals coming up.

Lukefraizer

I started on the AC removal today and it is quite a lot of work just to properly get the AC condenser out of its location without taking the air intake. So that is something to consider. Also the cooler for the AC will be not fun to get out! Have to completely take out the radiator to remove it. I waited on that needless to say. So far I have about 2 hours in just removal of the AC system but the kit looks like it should be easy to put into the car, no real location diagrams or anything. So anyone with previous experience with this one would be helpful with some pictures or something.

Luke

Sorry for being lazy but you can view some of the picture I took when I put it on my galant: (link should take you to page 6)
click

just scroll down a little and you'll see the pictures. The only thing I did not show is that I wound up shimming the alternator inwards (away from the frame) with a few small washers....but I assume this is needed because of my engine mount not being perfect, you should be fine but if not you can also shift the alternator location by using washers/spacers instead of the one that is included. I had to try a couple of different belts and the one shown is the only one that worked. For some reason my heim joints had to be completely extended to get full tension and it wasnt possible to use a shorter belt but with the jam nuts tight it works great. By the way I did not have to worry about removing the AC stuff b/c my car didnt have it installed from the PO.

broxma

The shimming is really something that almost has to be done depending on the alternator you have. I bought a reman 120(?) amp and the nut on the pulley almost hits the frame. My OEM alternator was fine though. Now. I cannot remove the belt from around the alternator pulley at all. I have to pull the alternator to do it.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned