The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant temp sensor identification

Did a bit of searching and couldn't really find what I need. All the pics i've seen of the tstat housing show 3 sensors, plus one on the tstat outlet. I have 4 on my tstat housing. The one I can't identify is at the top facing forward, it sits adjacent to the water line. Any help? TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pot

Staff member
The factory waterneck has four electrical connections:

(1) Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Unit
(2) Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
(3) Air Conditioner Engine Coolant Temperature Switch
(4) Engine Coolant Temparature Switch

*There is also a thermo vacuum switch below the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor but that badboy has two vacuum lines connecting to it for emissions.

If your looking from the top of the waterneck (You may have a 1g T/E/L waterneck) the position starting at 1 O'Clock (clockwise) is the "Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Unit. Dead center on top of the waterneck is your "Air Conditioner Engine Coolant Temperature Switch." At 7 O'Clock is your "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor." Lastly, at about 11 - 12 O'Clock is your "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor."

Last edited:

brisvr4

coolantsensors.jpg

None of those, I just realized my tstat housing looks a little different too. I'm referring to the one in the pic with the snapped off pins, bottom left, the housing is rotated 90 degrees CC here.

brisvr4

Isn't that the vacuum switch for the egr?

MoghamerVR4

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. It is nice to find such website /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm looking for the part number of sensor no.2 in the diagram. Didn't know where to get it in "ASA" nor "CAPS"
Appreciate your support

Best regards to all'
Badar

EMX5636

MD069879 It's in with the water pipe/thermostat, but it's hard to see and facing away from you.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
This will help alot of people.

If you only have a part #, this program database will help you a whole bunch.

Also, you can search the menus just like ASA, or whatever parts program from the OEM's because it is that part # database, with pictures.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned