The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil feed

Hi guys...My car is Galant whit 4G63 6 BOLT ENGINE . I use T04E Turbine M12 replica like this click .... ... where is the best option is supplied with oily ... the head or the oil filter.
Thanks,,...

rdomeck

The best place is the oil filter housing. A little search on the forum should give you some pictures, but I believe the center of the three ports on the oil filter housing is filtered. The other two are not! The port in the head is at the end of the line as far as the oil system is concerned.

vtecds1

I'm running a T3 bb turbo. Its getting feed via the ofh(far right 3/8 port). I have a recent thread about this subject on the tech section. Just search through it, since it's only about a month old. You might want to look into getting the correct fittings if your going to run it from the OFH. Here's the link to my thread.

Last edited:

Best oil supply would be from oil filter housing.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes, and I think that since there is the best option .. But now the turbo over 140 km / h begins to smoke slightly blue smoke. All engine parts are new. . I read somewhere that from the oil filter hosting comes too much oil in the turbo and that it is not good ...
Is it Really?

Hahahaha...yеs that turbo which i use is made in China .... is total garbage . .. after 50 km started to smoke ...

Galantvr4559

I have a precision daul bb 50 trim on 559/2000 and i have an oil restrictor on top of the turbo and oil supply from the head and its been over 10k miles and no issues. But with bb turbos high oil pressure is bad. So that in mind i figured that coming off the head is ok. stock oil supply comes off the head and thats a journal bearing turbo. so ball bearing turbos needing less oil then it would be more than sufficient. since i live in a cold climate and cold starts hit over 100 psi at ofh. Coming off a full sweep mechanical oil pressure gauge "autometer". I know some of you guys dont live in a cold climate but i didnt want to over oil my turbo. so that being said i think in certain situations feing off the ofh is good and feeding off the head is good. Every turbo is different and i would find out the oil pressure range for oil supply and go from there.

vtecds1

^^^I've been debating on running my oil supply line from the head also, but it's been getting fed via the ofh ever since I got it. Not to mention that it was from the unfiltered port also... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess I've been very lucky for the past 6k miles as there is no shaft play at all. I think my oil pressure is one of the contributing factors why my turbo has been running good...12-15psi at start up and 10psi per 1k rpm while cruising.

Last edited:

Ok,that Chinese turbine which is use are whit ball bearings, and it is better to be supplied with oil from head....but whit restrictor ...or not?

mikus

No.
C0rky Be11 says it well and I'm lazy, so here you go
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
The turbo survives with surprisingly low oil pressure and flow. It is virtually certain that all engines in production today have enough excess oil-pumping capacity to adequately take on the additional requirement of lubricating the turbo. If you know a particular engine was shortchanged in the oiling area on original design, it is certainly a good idea to fix it. However, fix it for the en¬gine's sake and not for the additional burden of the turbo. Observe the basic lower limits of oil pressure and flow published by the turbo manufacturer and you can't go wrong as far as lubrication is concerned.
Too much oil pressure can create problems with turbos. It is possible to force oil past oil seals that are in perfect condition if oil pressure exceeds 65 to 70 psi at the turbo. If a particular engine creates more oil pressure than the seals can handle, it may be necessary to install a restrictor or bypass system to reduce pressure at the turbo.
Problems of oil pressure overpowering the seal are evident in a frequent if not quite constant smoking problem. Anytime oil pressure exceeds the 65-70 psi range and smoking persists, a restrictor or bypass should be installed prior to any other changes.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">
Turbo tech has certainly changed a lot since this was authored, so be sure to check in with aftermarket manufacturers. Anything MHI should not be fed direct from OFH.

beaner

Quoting vtecds1:
I think my oil pressure is one of the contributing factors why my turbo has been running good...12-15psi at start up and 10psi per 1k rpm while cruising.

This is exactly what you want. I truly feel the people saying 'ebay' turbos are junk have either never ran one or have and installed it like a retard. Getting the oil feed and oil drain correct is extremely important. If it's your first time installing a turbo and you don't know how to do the oil lines correct, I bet the farm it will be wrong.

On a dsm I feed every turbo from the head unrestricted. If you want to do it from the filter housing, you might need to change your oil weight or use a restrictor to achieve the psi quoted above. I know the 2gs are fed from the oil filter housing stock, but I'm not sure if there's a built in restrictor somewhere in that line or fittings.

turbowop

The only turbos that should be fed from the OFH are those from manufacturers stating that it's needed...like the FP green and red.

I run my Evo3 16G from the head, and run my FP3052 off the head with a restrictor. Both have lots of miles on them now and are in excellent shape.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned