The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb Questions

matt92vr4

Hi guys, I apologize in advance for these questions but I've searched and cannot seem to find answers. So here it goes. Thank you for your help.

-At what power level does the stock head bolts become an issue?
-At what power level does the composite head gasket become in issue?
-At what power level does the 3-bolt rear become an issue?

I have heard the composite is ok for up to 400hp but i could b wrong if anyone wants to correct me

GSX_TC

3bolt will last a while if u don't launch it very often. But generally at power levels above the 350+whp mark they don't tend to live longer than 10 or 12 passes on the track, but there are a few lucky guys out there.

matt92vr4

Thanks guys, looks like the 3 bolt will have to go. I'll be 2-stepping and antilagging quite often! Where do the axles generally fail? At the 3 bolt cups?

Brunoboy

depending on the size of your turbo, 2-stepping is sufficient for 80% if not a bit more of us.
-Shane

AWDPower

The axle (driver's side I think?) breakes off at the splines, inside the diff. Usually, you just need another axle, but it can damage the diff. I've seen them break on abused near stock cars, and last on high powered cars driven with a bit of care.

raptorWagon

just throw a 3kgt rear diff in there and call it good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

thedsmguy

I've noticed that 3 bolts tend to last longer with a stronger rear suspension. Also you can break them with very few mods and a really aggressive clutch.

I've seen them good up to 300+hp

Your best bet would be to run four bolt rear, def seen them take a better beating.

matt92vr4

Thanks for the insight guys. I was hoping to hear they would hold 450ish. I really love 4WS. Doesn't sound good though. That is one nice thing about the 3kgt rears. No issues until 800+.

So the diameter of the axle is smaller on the 3 bolt? Anyone ever have DSS make some upgraded axles to utilize the 4 bolt cups and 3 bolt rear (4WS)?

AWDPower

I don't think the cups are the problem at all. The cups are just a way to identify and easily explain the differences in the axles. The weak point is the axle shaft itself where it enters the diff. The 4 bolts have larger diameter axles, and the splines in the diff are larger to accept the axles. As for swapping to a four bolt and keeping the rear steering, its possible, others have done it.

makedollarz

Save yourself the headache of swapping axels every other week and get the 4 bolt in there, I wouldn't try launching at all until you do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gramkrakr89

Isn't the differential housing the same for both? Would it be possible to take a 4-bolt differential (the actual diff inside the housing) that accepts the 4-bolt axle shafts and frankenstein it into the 3-bolt housing, keeping the 4WS pump?

matt92vr4

DSS 4 bolt axles and then a 9" ford.

raptorWagon

Quoting gramkrakr89:
Isn't the differential housing the same for both? Would it be possible to take a 4-bolt differential (the actual diff inside the housing) that accepts the 4-bolt axle shafts and frankenstein it into the 3-bolt housing, keeping the 4WS pump?

Already been done
Click

Last edited by a moderator:

matt92vr4

That's great thanks! So how about the head bolts and basket issue?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned